Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips & tricks #1 : why rub your fingerboard with oil ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Oiling your fingerboard.

Why ?
    A fingerboard is made of wood ( mostly ), as you all know wood absorbs moist, and if it absorbs moist, it will bend.Oil is thicker than water.
    So.. with the simple theory of " where there is oil, there cannot be water " the reason for " why " is easy. If you rub your fingerboard with oil, it won't absorb moist from either your fingers or the surrounding, and won't bend. another reason is that wood turns dry. dry wood doesn't feel as nice as slick wood, so if you oil your fingerboard, your bass will play a lot more comfy.

how ?
    oiling your fretboard is a very easy procedure.
    you will need 5 items
    <li>a small brush ( i use a nail-brush )</li>
    <li>a piece of cloth</li>
    <li>another piece of cloth</li>
    <li>fretboard oil</li>
    <li>a bassguitar</li>

The most logic time to oil the fretboard is when you change strings.

just follow these steps :

1) remove your old strings.
    2) Use the brush on the fretboard to remove any dust, grease, etc..
    3) Put a small amount of fretboard oil on the cloth and let it sip into the cloth.
    4) use the cloth on the fretboard, and try to apply the oil in circular motion, this way the oil will sip into the wood.
    5) after applying the oil on the fretboard, leave it be for about 5 mins. let that oil sink into the fretboard for a sec..
    6) apply another layer of oil on the fretboard
    7) use the other, clean cloth and rub any excessive oil from the frets, and rub the entire fretboard firmly.
    8) put on your new, fresh set of strings and tune-up
    9) Your fretboard might be a little shiny in the beginning, but if you leave the bass alone for a couple of hours, so the fretboard can adjust and the oil can settle in.. it will become less shiny after a while.
    it is very important that you leave the bass out of the hardshell/softshell in this phase, because the case will turn smely if you don't..

voilla.. your freshly oiled bass is ready for use !

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Man, I didn't know I had to replace my frets, too!
    Doc

3. replace your frets ??

ah..

" 8) put on your new, fresh set of frets and tune-up "

ung... uhm.. nevermind :rolleyes: it's fixed now

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    AX, what if you fingerboard and neck has a laquer on it? I think its laquer? Will the oil still seep into the wood?

5. AllodoX, can you still put on your old set of strings?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you have a lacquered fingerboard, there is no need to oil it. It will just get greasy. It does need the gunk cleaned off of it occasionally. Windex works very will for this.

7. Sure you can.. but removing the strings and putting them back on isn't the smartest thing to do.. because you'll never get the same sound out of them again.. the tension on the string and the windings on the tuner-pole are way different.. last time i did that my bass went out of tune constantly..

besides.. strings start at about $ 7 / 9 € ... so personally i cannot see any good reason to put the old ones back on if you can get a brand new set for little cash.

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks Jeff. I clean my fingerboard with Pledge or some other wood cleaner whenever I change my strings. I just wanted to know if oil would work as well.

9. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    I heard Scott's Liquid Gold does a number on the fretboard so i tried it out. It came out decent. Anyone else ever use this product?

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Anyone ever tried a light coating of gun oil?

11. No.. im a civilized.. i don't carry guns.. ;)