Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tips/tweaks for mounting K&K Bassmaster Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Apr 29, 2002.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    First of all, I love my K&K Bassmaster Pro (both a Bass Max and a Bass Quad (i think that's what its called)), however I would like to see if anyone knows any setup tweaks. I don't usually use the wing pickup very much - it seems boomy and unfocused, but could that be because I used a thin piece of rubber for a shim instead of something wood or a reed or something?

Also - for the quad, would it be worth my while to un-stick the elements and move them around slightly under the strings? Or would that just be a pain that wouldn't paid off? Has anyone tried moving these around?

thanks!

2. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    The BassMax piezo (like all piezos) works best under compression. The rubber is definitely not gonna help - it will damp rather than directly transmit vibration. Try it with a wood shim. My Bass Max is plenty focused.

3. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, the rubber definitely cranks it in there tight, but I bet it colors the sound. Thanks!

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Definitely, wood is necessary for the proper focus. There already is a little rubber in the equation, and more is not going to help the signal.

5. As I said in another thread, a saxophone reed makes an excellent shim. The taper allows infinite adjustment of the pressure.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I used to own a Bass Master Pro, and I didn't much care for the quad pickups. I discovered (thru Bob) that the quad elements are exactly the same as the wing pickup (2 bridge discs = 1 wing pickup), and wired it into a second Bass Max to be placed on the treble side. It sounded great, and I haven't moved it since. The point of the story is not that you should do this, but that those discs are very versatile...in fact, I most often got better results by placing them anywhere BUT on the bridge. You can do a lot of experimenting with those things.

As to the wing pickup, everybody so far is right on the money. Good luck.

7. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Cool thanks, I guess I never thought twice about using a rubber shim because the pickup itself it encased in some sort of rubber or rubber-like material. I thought, what the heck, a lil more won't hurt. But now I know. Chris, it's interesing, I have been using *only* the quad and have been pretty pleased with it. I guess I need to make some adjustments and maybe get some more of that double sided stuff to dink around with my quad too...

8. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    An update for y'all - I replace the rubber shim on the wing pickup with a wood shim and it is like night and day - the pup sounds totally different (in a good way). The only thing is, now I keep tweaking with my EQ constantly, but I will get 'er dialed in soon here. The better this pickup sounds, the more I like playing it through an amp (heh, back when I had the Fishman, playing through an amp was like torture) Thanks everyone!

9. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi.

Really old thread, but have some questions on these pickup.

… I just bought a K&K Bass Master Pro and on the instructions K&K suggests that the 4 piezo pickups are to be glued facing the fingerboard (on the top of the bridge), but I saw in bob Gollihur’s site that he glues them facing the floor (on the bottom of the bridge). What do you think would be the better option? I think that if K&K says on top it must be the best way, but it’s really ugly and from what I’ve read here, Bob Gollihur really knows what he’s doing….
    Another thing, the wing pickup… K&K says to try the low side of the bridge first (string E) but I always see it on the G side of the bridge??? What should I do?

Thank you so much for your help!

Best Regards.
    Nuno

10. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi...
    Sorry to bother you again with this, but I really have to install the pickups because I’m starting tomorrow with rehearsals, but have been waiting for some light on how the best way to install this.
    Thanks.

11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I recommend installing them on the bottom of the bridge for two reasons.

- most luthiers and players will tell you that a properly shaped bridge will have a 90 degree angle on the back (bottom) of the bridge, with all of the shaping done to the top. The reason for this is to resist warping as the bridge top is repeatedly pulled up by tuning. Therefore, the top of the bridge would be curved; the transducers are flat and should be applied to a flat surface... therefore, the back is the ideal place in most cases.

- they are ugly; hide them on the bottom of the bridge.

I don't know what photos you've seen, but I've found the E string side is optimal for the Bass Max placement in almost every case. Players may certainly experiment to come to their own conclusion.

Hope this helps.

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    +1 on what Bob says.

I glue the pickups on the bottom side of the bridge - its the flat side after all. Be careful with the spacing or you'll get uneven volumes on different strings.

The wing pickup goes in the 'E' side of the bridge - its the side of the top that moves up and down. Make sure its just snug - not too tight or too loose - and it will sound very good. ;)

13. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hello. Good morning...

Thank you all (Bob and Jake) for your help! It's great to have some experienced insights when you are doing something for the first time and alone!

Great! I'm all set...

Thank you!!!!
    Best regards.