1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tips

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BlueTalon, Apr 10, 2021.

1. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Bands at the local level usually have a tip jar when they play somewhere. The first bands I was in split the tips. The last couple of bands I've been in, however, are bands that are named after the front-man (guitar player/singer/BL), who keeps the tips.

Is this common?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Not unless the "BL" is paying the band an agreed fee, and takes the risk of making less depending on the draw. That's not a band, that's a group of hired guns working with a solo act.

3. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I think it’s uncommon.

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    How does the BL pay the band?
    With an agreed fee? With exposure?

5. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I think it would be a nice gesture for the (presumably getting paid more) "name" of the act to give ALL of the tips to the (presumably getting paid less) backing musicians, but that's just me.

getrhythm, RSBBass, JRA and 5 others like this.
  6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    F that S.

c5hokie, getrhythm, Beej and 28 others like this.
  7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    In my trio my geetar player & drummer are full-time musicians, while I have a full time career. I get a [generous] set amount, they get pay + split the tips. All expenses [usually tipping the bar] come out of the tips and our bar tab is usually gratis [since it's only 1 bourbon on the rocks for me:D].

I'll be retiring [from the career] at the end of May so that will mean a new paradigm for the trio.

8. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    No, this is pretty selfish of these band leaders and not a good way to build good report with your musicians. I am generally OK with a BL taking a larger cut of the fixed gig fee, since they booked the gig and run the band, but to me the tips should be split equally amongst the band since hey are a direct result of the band performance.

JRA, Obese Chess, RyanOh and 3 others like this.
  9. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    No. You're getting jobbed in the majorest of ways.

getrhythm, RSBBass, filmtex and 9 others like this.
  10. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    That's how this is supposed to work, as was explained by the BL when I joined. 25% to each member of the trio including the BL, and 25% to the band (i.e., the BL) for the work of managing the band. I don't begrudge that arrangement at all. But he looks at tips as part of the general fund, not as tips, and he thinks that because it's his name in the band, that people are coming to see him and therefore all the tips should go to him, and that we'll see our cut of the tips in our pay.

I love paying music with the guy, and the band has good chemistry and sounds great together, but this thing with the tips leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    getrhythm, J_Bass and bolophonic like this.
  11. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Agreed.

12. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Wow that makes it even worse if i am understanding. Am i reading this correctly, in that this BL is taking 50% of the bands fee PLUS all of the tips?

RSBBass, smogg, dkelley and 2 others like this.
  13. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    Mr Haney.jpg

14. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Every band I’ve been in it was an even split.

smogg, dkelley, petch and 6 others like this.
  15. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    That's correct.

Seanto likes this.
  16. You will only be getting tips if people enjoy the show.
    That only happens if every one is doing their part.
    If everyone has contributed to making that happen,
    then everyone should benefit evenly.

getrhythm, RSBBass, BSatt and 9 others like this.
  17. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Some of the best advice for gigs I ever got was to always put a tip jar out. Some gigs we get nothing, once in a while we get a couple hundred, or anything in between. We always split tip money 5 ways. Point being, it's free money without being pushy. I've seen other bands pass a tip jar around, which I find somewhat tacky.

18. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I won't play in a band that puts out a tip jar. I'm not a beggar.

lfmn16, AaronVonRock, cnltb and 3 others like this.
  19. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I can't say ive ever played in a band that puts out a tip jar. Here in Canada it is typically the venue that pays the band so we never expect the patrons to pay for the band (aside from paying a cover charge to enter when applicable). I don't think I've really witnessed any other bands here putting out tip jars either.

As others have stated though, it should be negotiated ahead of time regarding the split of the tips.

20. Is there a reason they are keeping all the tip money? As others have said It sounds more like a solo act with hired guns than a band. But I could see some reasons for it. Sometimes one person basically runs the band, books the gigs, privides the PA, and the tips might not end up being a ton of money. If they are doing a ton of extra work to justify keeping all the tips I could see that, but if they aren’t I think it’s kind of shady. Really just up to you if you’re ok with it or not. I don’t really play for money. So if someone who puts more work into the gig gets paid more than me I’m ok with it. But if it was a situation where I’m losing money while someone else in the band is making a profit I’d have to draw a line there personally, because they are making money at my expense

BlueTalon likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021