tired of 35" scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evh, May 28, 2003.

1. evh

Jan 3, 2003
    I'm not playing my MTD too much because it's not as much fun to play as a shorter scale bass. What other high end basses have a shorter scale neck?:confused:
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    R bass makes some. I was told that Chris Benavente was making a 33" scale for a customer.
  4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm sure you can get a shorter scale from a lot of builders...do you have trouble with the reach on a 35 inch scale?
  5. evh

Jan 3, 2003
    the reach is exactly it... it hinders my playing and forces me to change the way i attack each note.
  6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    That's interesting. I play a MTD 435 and love it. I don't like playing 34" scale basses anymore. I don't have particularly big hands, I just really love the feel

Mike Dimin
  7. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    evh, try a Rob Allen Mouse Bass. It has a 30" scale.
  8. evh

Jan 3, 2003
    dude, you serious? 30" scale?:D
  9. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
  10. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Could be the way the MTD hangs that makes it feel strange. Try another 35" bass. One of my Laklands perhaps??? E-mail me.
  11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have recently come to the realization that I prefer a 34' scale as well. The extra inch is nice when it comes to the B string, but I think I can live without that. In fact, I played an Alembic Stanley Clarke short scale bass and really fell in love with the feel. I think that I would consider a 33' Rbass 5 single cut if hte price was right.
  12. I also prefer a 34" scale, although I found I really didn't notice the scale difference when I had a 35" scale Modulus.

Sadowsky makes a fine 34" scale bass.

13. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    In my case, I discovered that reach was bothersome to me, but not necessarily 35" scale vs 34" scale. My MTD Beast is one of the most amazing sounding passive basses I have ever heard, but (alas) it makes the tendonitis in my left hand flare up because of the long reach. My Lakland 55-01 hangs about an inch to an inch-and-a-half further to the right than the MTD, and I have much less of a problem with the reach and the tendonitis when using the Lakland. The bridge on the Lakland is a little further towards the end of the body, and the upper horn is over the 11th or 12th fret on the Lakland, rather than about the 14th fret on the MTD. The Lakland neck is also slimmer than the MTD neck, which seems to help with my small hands.
  14. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    warwick do a few diferent scale lengths on there bolt on models.
  15. I agree with you that the 35" scale is just a little to uncomortable. I have two R-Bass 5 strings with a 33" scale. They play just fantastic with a solid, deep, tight low B. It is so much easier to play and my left hand doen't get as fatigued. In fact it is really interesting to hear 35" disciples tell me how they can't believe how great the low B sounds. Ray Roger makes R-basses and you can call him at
    787-390-9333. You have to try one to believe just how great they sound and look.
  16. Well, I'm not alone, I guess. I have somewhat small hands, also. I love the sound of my MTD Heir 5-string, but the 35" scale is a bit of a stretch. I have either tendinitis or carpul tunnel, and the extra reach is noticeable. The neck on the MTD is nice and flat, so that helps some.

I've thought about trying out a Jazz 5-string to see if that will be a bit more comfortable. I believe they are 34".
  17. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I agree with this. Although every bass is obviously different, I have been really favoring mostly those with the extra inch lately. I am currently (passively) looking for 35"-scale 4 stringers.
  18. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    The Peavey G-bass has a 35" scale in 4 and 5 string versions.
  19. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    For those wanting to try a 33" scale bass take your 35" bass, tune it down a half step and then put a capo on the first fret.