Tired of "get a four stringer first"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nikolai, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I just want to say im sick and tired of people saying that you need to get a fourstring bass before a five. You still have the same 12 notes, just one extra string to play them on. You wouldnt buy a piano with fewer keys just to learn, would you?

I just wish people wouldnt put others off saying its so much harder, When its not.

Just had to get that off my chest..
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Feel better now?
  3. I agree, if you already know for sure you could really use an extra string you might as well start with a bass wich has it.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Eh, yeah I guess your right. The same twelve notes. But hey, why not pick up trumpet, there's only three notes.. right? [/ignorance]
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow. I have NEVER heard this or read this anywhere. Really that many people saying it?
  6. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    To be honest, i havent really seen it much around here, a few times though. But i see it in every other bass forum ive read :p
  7. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    5 is actually easier , so ya , four strings first so ya can learn how to shift. :p
  8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    No. I'd seek out a piano with 110 keys.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I heard that if you start on a five that you will rip the fabric of the space-time continuum.
  10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    not really,i pick a five as a first bass 8 years ago,i play very nice this bass and i learn very fast,is the sane as a 4 but with one more string,don,t hearing people saying you need a 4 to start,now 8 years after my first bass(a 5) am think about buy a 4 strings bass..lol, :eyebrow:
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    then don't listen.
  12. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    When I first started fooling with bass, the only choices were four string or four string and fretless was, to me at least, unheard of. Long time ago. Now that we've got basses with lotsa strings I guess a person can learn on whatever he/she wants.
  13. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    respond with maniacal laughter , works for me.

maybe even feign choking too :p
  14. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I think that if I had started on a 5, I would be able to play a 5 today. Alas, I was raised on 4, and am unable to make the transition to 5. :crying:

Don't listen to them!
  15. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    What I've noticed lately is that younger players are astonished when I'm able to move around the neck as fast as they can on a five. What I usually tell them is that when I was growing up as a player, few players used fives, if at all. The music at the time just didn't require that low B. We got used to playing scales with four strings, and had to move our hands pretty quickly to do so. This isn't a knock on five string players, but rather an observation on how things were back then. Man, I wish I'd had the choices back then that players have now!

Today, it's almost de rigeur for bassists to choose a five over a four. I've yet, personally, to find a five I'm comfortable with (with the exception of a friend's Alembic Orion 5). I just can't get over the width of the neck, but that's just me. I'm still looking, though.

Hey, if what you're playing calls for a five, go for it. No need to "start" with a four. The sooner you get used to what you're going to need for the music you play, the better. And no need to explain yourself. Either they like what you do or they don't.

My two cents,

16. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The argument is rubbish. May as well tell someone to start with just one string on a bass and master that one string first.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd recommend starting on a 11 string to all beginner bassists.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah but I'll probably pu-ik
  19. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Hey, if you know you're gonna play a five, or even a six, you may as well learn on it. Personally, I play nothing but 4-strings, but if that's your bag, who cares what you start on?