Tired of Gigs being cancelled!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully, Sep 26, 2022.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Been a weird year for sure. I play in two bands and have a fairly decent load of gigs between the two bands.
    We were to play last weekend but two days before the gig the venue calls the bandleader to say our big Collage football teams game was on that night. They did not want a band interfering with the game. So even thou we were booked months ago they made the call. It didn’t bother me much since that place isn’t that great but it was still an inconvenience.
    This made the forth cancellation between the two bands this year. The first was a small club we love to play at that bumped my band for a private party. We had more gigs there so we let it slide.
    Second was a bike night at a decent size club who decides the week of the gig to just call off bike nights for the rest of the year.
    In mid summer a club cancelled us after they got busted for having bands play past the noise ordinance.
    Then last weeks gig bumped for the game.
    We even had a club who booked us for three gigs then wanted to drop us after the first two stating we charged to much. They did honor the last gig but want us to come down in price to play there again.
    Maybe it’s just bad luck who knows. After last weeks cancel it hit me that it was four total this year..so far. Neither band uses contracts so it is what it is. I have no say in it since I’m not the bandleader in either band.
    Just wondered if it’s just us or a trend..who knows?

2. Slapndbayass

Slapndbayass

Nov 9, 2016
    Lots of major artists are cancelling tours all over the planet.

BatBasstard, gotly, roccobass and 2 others like this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    What game? I'd gladly go see your band over this super boring Cowboys-Giants game but if Baylor's playing please turn yo self down.

4. prndltech

prndltech

Aug 13, 2022
    side note: I didn’t attend Baylor, but I lived directly behind it for 2 years going to technical school.

back on topic: same thing around here. Live music in Austin isn't what it once was either.

Jimmy4string, BrassedOn, Ggaa and 2 others like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Things are def better than 2020 but not “normal”.

Ekulati, pjbassist, SoCal80s and 4 others like this.
  6. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Last weeks Ohio state vs Wisconsin it was over by the second quarter.

Killing Floor likes this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I feel you. Had a few gigs cancelled or just not followed through due to budget and noise ordinances.

bassbully likes this.
  8. At least you still have a band. 2020 killed my band, and even if it didn't, lots of the old venues we played at have dried up, some shut down for good.

NKBassman and bassbully like this.
  9. KenD

KenD Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Vancouver Island
    "Always look on the bright side of life"
    At least they didn't wait to cancel until you had showed up to load in. :)

10. KenD

KenD Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Vancouver Island
    I don't play out anymore but my neighbour is the drummer in two local bands that work weekends pretty regularly. He tells me that post-Covid their gigs are about 3 to 1 private vs. commercial.

JettBlaq, B-Lo, neo 7 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I struggle with the noise ordinance issue. On the one hand I’m empathetic to a resident’s situation. Heck, We’re all residents somewhere.
    But the town you’re in, there are thousands of people from out of the area flocking to live in entertainment districts and when the shine wears off they no longer like the noise/traffic/tourists.
    Can’t speak for every town. But every place I’ve lived the clubs don’t exactly get built in subdivisions. People who move next to live music venues are a bigger part of the problem then the volume inside the bar.

smogg, Keyser Soze, Durham52 and 12 others like this.
  12. KenD

KenD Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Vancouver Island
    That brings to mind an hilarious true story reported in the local media a few years ago. Burton Cummings, of Guess Who fame, moved to a small city in Saskatchewan "to be closer to his roots on the Canadian prairie". Shortly afterwards he filed a noise complaint about the music emanating from the dance/jazzercise studio next door.

smogg, Darrell Vachon, REV and 10 others like this.
  13. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The noise ordinance gig is a crazy story. The venue has been there for years in what was a fairly remote area.
    They just recently put up a few hundred condos right next door to this venue that’s has a killer outdoor stage. You guessed it the folks moving in are complaining. The place isn’t even done with construction but they are moving people in who complain. Before I would spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on a condo I would not be living beside a popular bar/ restaurant that has live music.

14. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    That's a lot of potential customers, if you can get the volume down.

Maybe time to go acoustic and do oldies. :D

bassbully likes this.
  15. There are reportedly at least three venues here that have recently been shut down because they don't have proper licensing for live music.

Apparently many business owners opted to let their entertainment licenses lapse during the pandemic (understandable) and then did not follow up to renew them when they began hosting events again. I've had one show cancelled due to this, and I have other friends who are also impacted.

In this case it's a matter of venues trying to get by without paying the what the county asks from them, and getting caught out for it. The fees are not cheap, but also not outrageous - under 2K per year, which is less than these venues might take in on a single night's worth of sales. At the same time, these are places that are trying to recoup losses from staying closed for so long, so it's hard to blame them. But it all has a ripple effect throughout the community as there are fewer and fewer places to play.

16. Similar to the people buying houses at the end of a runway and then complaining about noisy airplanes.

17. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah our band has gotten cancelled a few times this year. Heck we've gotten screwed by the same venue 2 times this year. They had another artist name on the sign when we got there to load in. The first time it happened, the owner apologized and let us play due to him booking us first. Fast forward a few months later, we all arrive to start load in and there was another artist name on the sign again. Well this time the owner was no where to be found and his staff couldn't get in touch with him. They like to use a booking agency, so needless to say we didn't play that night. Luckily we found another venue close by that needed a band. Needless to say, we are never playing there again!

bassbully likes this.
  18. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    Had 2 gigs cancelled this summer...first one left a bad taste, but booker puts her own bands in there.
    So she owes me for that and it will hopefully cost her 3 dates next year.

The other one was a new venue with friday and sunday music. We picked sunday over friday for the chill factor, but one friday gig was pretty good, so a mistake on my part.
    The sunday gigs were cancelled through lack of clientelle and if they didnt do that, we would cancelled them anyway.
    Sunday gigs are very popular here from 1pm to late so a few bands will crash two in

New gigs are shooting up frequently but winter is the time when venues test the water and you need to have every thing down by spring as thats when everything picks up.

19. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    Start using contracts and put a cancellation fee into it. Put the warning out on the worst cancellors. I put out a warning, when we were shouted at within minutes of getting there.

bassbully, pcake, getbent and 3 others like this.
  20. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    How does the warning work..SM thing for people to be warned..?
    We generally find that sort of 'bad gig' rep will get out and therefore ppl dont want to play there.
    Then that bad gig venue starts advertising for bands wanted, which means bands that normally do not get too many dates apply, and the standard has fallen and therefore the venue gradually fades away.
    It needs new owners to revigorate and build up.

bassbully and Dega60 like this.