1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tired of guys who can't make up their mind

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I join a band on Saturday after a positive audition.

This is for a cover band with a really nice song list and whose project is to do all sorts of gigs for smaller projects including weddings and all.

Tonight, got an email sent to me and the drummer, telling us that the 2 guitarists changed their mind and would form a ... TESLA TRIBUTE BAND! So, bye bye...

So here I am since Wednesday, 3 days before the audition where I was given a list of songs to learn, until yesterday, learning and practicing a set list of 19 songs, which includes some really good ones like Rio (which I was delighted to finally be able to play in a band).

And then when I email him directly, thinking it's a ploy to get rid of us, I am told directly that it is not a joke, they are really into Tesla, but that they like me and want me for the project, not the drummer (my drummer from my previous band, who is a firefighter and has a crappy schedule, which was the deal killer for them).

Tesla?!? I would understand a Journey or a Maiden tribute band, even a U2 tribute band but Tesla?!?

What sort of gigs do you want to get out of that? Biker bars?

6 days, about 10 hours total learning and perfecting songs and they change their mind...

Oh for Pete's Sake I am tired of this crap.

I am seriously considering my teacher's invite to join his 55+ year-old band. They play old school Blues and Surf, but who cares, I am tired of idiots.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You probably avoided a bad situation in the long run. Sorry for the hassle though. I've done a lot of fill-in gigs with bands who never quite got the concept of playing what the CROWDS want to hear, NOT what's in YOUR CD player. Good luck finding another gig.

3. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Get out fast, I was in bands that couldn't make up their mind about what they wanted and end up doing nothing for over a year.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    +1

Give it a try. You might enjoy playing with guys that get along and actually have gigs.

Good luck.

5. I have a feeling your teacher's band is more stable...

6. Woodyrson

Woodyrson Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2009
    The teacher's band sounds like a win to me! My band plays a lot of old blues stuff and I couldn't be happier. I really love old blues and jazz, though. So, if you're not into that kind of music, I can see why you wouldn't want to do that. But, hey, give it a shot! I wasn't really into that stuff until I started playing guitar, then listening to that stuff got me into bass. So, it obviously turned out well for me :D

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Man, that's so bizarre you CAN'T be making it up. Definitely better that you found out early on.
    Good luck catching the next project. The teacher's band might just be a bunch of fun - and stable, musical fun. I say go for it.

8. You know why I stopped playing for more than a decade?

Because of drama.

At 39 I pick the bass again, thinking that adults are adults, that really back then it was because we were young, that things would change.

Oh sweet lord are people dumb.

Yes I will probably say yes to my teacher and jam with his band. At least he can give me advices on the spot, after all he's my teacher (he's decided to play more guitar than bass after almost 40 years playing bass).

9. Go for it, but remember to put on 50lbs, start wearing shorts / Hawaiian shirts, and grow some facial hair if you want anyone to take you seriously.

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    That sounds EXACTLY like my band teacher from high school.

All you`d have to add is pure white New Balances and it`d be perfect.

11. Extra poundage: check
    New Balance shoes (992): check

Ok what else? Beard? No. And never will I.

12. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    You are right to be skeptical.

But honestly, even if they ARE serious about Tesla, it's not going to work. I'm in the tribute arena and I'm amazed when people form tributes to bands that only have a small fan base, few or no recognizable hits, etc.

Tribute bands that work are for iconic bands -- as you've pointed out -- Journey, u2, AC/DC, the Doors, Stones, etc etc etc. Sometimes the cheesier the better - a friend is in an Abba tribute and they make far more money than we do.

I've seen people trying to form Queensryche tributes (why???), Radiohead, and other strange, one-hit or no-hit acts. You wont' get big gigs and venues when there isn't much demand for the REAL band you are portraying.

so even if they NAILED Tesla, they won't get very far with it.

Being an uber-fan of a band doesn't mean it's an appropriate tribute.

13. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Gawd I hope not... and white NB shoes too! :rollno:

Unfortunately Mr. Lovejoy is correct in way too many cases.

But not always ... these old guys are still lookin sharp! :bag:

OK so Darren the guitar player is only 35 :D
    but WC the drummer is 63 and that bass guy 55

DarrenJBKB.

;) ... Give a go Nick ... but leave the shorts and sneakers at home

14. +1. Sorry about the Hawaiian shirt thing. We think we look great at gigs. :oops:

15. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    dont be too discouraged about the age issue, I'm a 19 year old and playing in a band with a:

64-year old singer, 35-year old guitarist, 38-year old harmonica player and a newly recruited 21 year old drummer

and it's working out perfectly on a musical as well as a personal level

yay

16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I have found that no matter how old people get, jerk musicians never really change. Whether it's ego for no reason, A.D.D., showing up late, drugs + immaturity, ego, ego, or ego....it was the same with guys when I was 20 playing original music, or at 30 doing covers.

There is nothing worse than some cover band veteran trying to talk about "the business" or being "pro" when they are hacking it up in the same bars as everybody else who has a day job, beer gut, and New Balance kicks on.

17. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'm one of those 55+, pot-bellied, bearded, white athletic shoe wearing players ... :p (but I stop short of wearing short pants and Hawaiian shirts!).

I play in a band with guys older and younger than myself, and have multiple projects going with others my age. None of us have any false illusions of becoming "stars". But ... all of us have REAL chops, a vast repertoire of music, and a love for ensemble playing. Some are darn good composers, many are great singers. No drama ... if someone needs to quit, it's ok ... we've been there. While it usually isn't because of a woman, or substance abuse, or musical incompatibilities, we do have problems with divorce, personal and family medical issues, moving away to retire, and the like. I subbed for nearly a year for a guy having cancer treatments, he's now OK again, and I happily stepped aside for him to rejoin his band. Right now I sub for a guy who just had multiple coronary bypasses, and he'll be back on stage as soon as he's ready. I have a winter sub gig for a guy who goes to FLA from October to April ... he gets his spot back when he gets home.

I've never enjoyed playing as much as I do now.

18. Good luck Nick.

I'm 50 and coming out of retirement after 10 years sitting on my ass teaching bass and guitar. I still have 20 students, but I really miss performing. I decided to fight the aging process and lost 25 pounds this summer. I can fit in my stage wardrobe again. I met some guys around my age, and they seem pretty serious. I have a ton of material to learn, so let's hope none of these jokers flake out on me.

It's always a gamble when you put your destiny in the hands of others. But all things for a reason.

19. The OP might have a point ... or not ... I can't make up my mind. :)

LOL at the Tesla tribute band. I can't imagine even the ORGINAL Tesla drawing much of a crowd at the local bar unless there was a wet t-shirt contest as well.

20. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Not a big fan/follower of Tesla myself, but from what I've seen, most of their more popular tunes seem to be covers of other people's material. So, a "Tesla tribute" might be a tongue-in-cheek way of calling yourself a cover band?

JM