Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tired of my warwick..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ollybarclay, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    well not TIRED exactly...

i love my warwicks (active 4 string corvette standard, passive 4 string streamer standard), but i find them a little TOO wooden with no nice trebly punch on the lower strings, especially as i play in c.

i want something with a bit more "ping" to it. like a jazz bass but not quite THAT pingy. i'm thinking a stingray, have played one - for a pretty limited time though - but i wanna know if you'd recommend anything i've not thought of. i'm not really a fan of ibanez basses, played a few, have sounded really pretty average if i'm honest.

oh, and it's for a fairly metal/distorted sound i'm going for, still cuts through, but has loads of grunt (through sansamp to ampeg svt 4 pro)

any help greatly appreciated.

2. Have you tried a thumb? Try some different strings too, I assume you already use rounds? Try some ProSteels maybe.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    You may want to change out your electronics to either EMG or Basslines. Both will give you a little more of what you're looking for.

4. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    My thumb has plenty of crisp punch, used with DR High Beams...

5. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    haven't tried a thumb, i'll look into that.

rounds?

6. You really should try different strings and maybe an outboard preamp if you're not too thrilled.

Or, try a different amp.

Right now, I happen to use a ton of compression, a Hartke bass attack, and Rotosounds with a pick if I want a really bright attack.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I understand you on the "ping" issue. That's why I stick with the Stage 1's. With the maple bodies, I think that they have a more well rounded tone. The blonde Thumb will also fit the bill.

8. +1

also maybe the corvette hot rod ltd 2005

9. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Not sure what you mean by "pingy", but I don't think a Jazz has much of that. I believe you should look towards a Spector tone. They have lots if bite on the lower strings, along with a trebly punch. Much more so than a jazz. But if the Jazz has too much of that, I don't know if you'd like the Spector? :confused:

10. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Maybe a Rikenbacker 4003? Plenty of grunt and bite :)

11. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'd also say "try new strings."

12. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    Sounds like your describing a Kem Smith too me.....However a freind of mine who is endorsed with Warwickhad a Streamer stage two made. He changed the preamp to a Pensa preamp and the change was amazing....more like a transfomation! It really bought a more rounded boost to the bass's High's Mid's and Lows with out over doing it. In other words just the right amount of ping, and it cuts through the mix better than any warwick Ive everheard.

13. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Could you describe in more detail the tone you are currently getting. When you say too wooden sounding, It makes me think of the bass tone on the 311 song "freak out"...do you have access to that song? I would suggest some dr hibeams nad maybe a different onboard eq, or since one of your basses is passive and outboard eq that you can use with both. Good luck.

14. Roundwound strings; they have more zing.