Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tired of old threads in the FS forum!

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by HamOnTheCob, Feb 5, 2005.

1. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Is there anything we can do about the old threads in the for sale forum? I understand (thanks clay) that the old threads are left for the courtesy of giving people an idea of what items sell for, but at the same time, people looking to BUY things have to sift through loads of posts in every thread only to find out at the end that everything has been sold. At the very least, sellers should have to make an edit in their INITIAL post that says everything is sold. The 20th post in a thread that says "Everything sold, thanks guys" doesn't really help matters, because by the time you get to it, you've already wasted your time.

I think if providing potential sellers with ideas of pricing for their items is something TB wants to help with, there should be a dedicated thread to that and only that. It should be "This is what I sold and this is what I got for it" and that's it. No discussion, no b.s. That would be the most efficient way of letting people know what they can expect to get for their items. And it would allow the threads in the For Sale forum to be deleted immediately upon the sale of the item (or the last of several items). This way, potential buyers aren't put off by all the clutter.

Thanks guys,
    Jake

2. How about leaving this stuff to the mods, and stop your annoying cleaning efforts. It really pisses me off when youve posted 10 or 15 "maybe delete this" posts. Get a life.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Especially when the initial post clearly states in BOLD that it has been SOLD just as you stated yourself in this thread. :rollno:

If the thread is more than 3 months old, chances are it has already been sold. You can always check their profiles and feedback threads too to see if there is any hint of what they may or may not have. It's really not that hard (or time consuming) to send a PM either, you know. :rolleyes:

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think the best solution is for the original poster to close the thread when everything is sold. It's an option under "thread tools".

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's only available to mods.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm told it's not - that anyone can close their own threads.

Can one of you go test it in one of the threads you started? If I'm wrong about this, I'd like to know right away!

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I just checked. The only tabs under Thread Tools in my own classified thread were: Printable version, Subscribe to, Email it to a friend, and Add a poll.

I was looking for how to do it when Tim Cole locked his own thread... No luck.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I did check before I posted. Mods only, I guess.

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Crap. Oh well, it was a nice idea...

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Power to the people....power to the people!!

That would be a great option available to those who create threads. Allowing them to edit the title would be great as well. You could then put: "Avatar SB112: Sold for $200" in your title. Then again, the success of that would depend on people being responsible enough to follow through with that part.

Another idea.....have a couple extra mods assigned to go through and check for that on a weekly basis. Slow and monotonous at times I realize, but I would volunteer for it. Good way to start a "mod apprenticeship" program. :)

-Mike

11. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    haha Are you serious? I would love to leave it up to the mods. It would be so much easier. But the problem is, you can't leave a job for someone else to do if they've shown they won't do that job. I'm not calling out the mods, just suggesting those threads be deleted or at least moved to a Sold Forum. I'm glad it's annoying you that I post in the old threads, because it's annoying the hell out of me to have to go through them all. Maybe if it annoys enough people, the mods will delete/move the threads, and that would be the end of annoyance for everyone.

Get a life? What a mature suggestion.

If you can't comprehend that there are a lot of threads wherein people DON'T state in the original post that items have been sold, and that THOSE are the ones I was referring to by the suggestion to mandate at least that they do so, then I'm sorry for you.

And for those of us sifting through 30 threads of people selling something we're looking for, it's a little time consuming to go through every profile and read through the gear lists. Are you serious?

All you have to do is delete the first post and the thread goes away.

Good ideas. I offered to do this as a mod as well, so we'll see what happens.

Changing the thread titles would eliminate all the problems, because you could see right away when doing a search which threads aren't worth opening and reading.

12. This would be a GREAT idea. It's annoying how only when a mod edits the title does it change when browsing the forum and not just in the actual thread if a non-mod was to do it.

13. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Well, it appears that some time between yesterday and today, the option to select "EDIT" on your own post/thread has been eliminated...

14. Yea...it goes away after like 5 minutes. I made a thread about it in the forum questions forum. Waiting for Paul to answer about it.

15. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    OK, then why in my one for sale thread, which was clearly marked as sold in bold and capital letters, did you then ask for me to delete it? :eyebrow:

You seem to be the only one who has such strong aversions to the way it is run now (and it did seem to me like you're publicly calling out the mods). It seems that TB's classifieds might be a little too confusing and difficult for you to manage. Perhaps there are too many for you to sift through, I've never had a problem and I do a lot more buying/selling/trading than you. Simple rule of thumb: If it's more than three months old it's probably long gone... Besides, PM'ing a member is the best way to find out what is available and what isn't. I've PM'ed people on threads that were less than a day old that had already sold and not been marked as such. Patience is lost a virtue when dealing with the online community. Picture if you still had to go out and get into a car and go to a store to buy this stuff? Or if it were still confined to phone calls? No online pix, reviews. etc. Heaven forbid you have to sift through a couple of threads to find what you're looking for.

If you have such issues with the TB classifieds, then perhaps you should stick to ebay, bassgear, craigslist, or HC classifieds although I think you'll have the same complaints with some of those sites.

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I got your PM, and replied to it.

All I have to say is, the the mods don't do a good enough job for you, complain to Paul. ONE PERSON with a problem understanding that threads marked sold, and/or have not been replied to in several months ARE PROBABLY SOLD, is not a reason for concern, or to change the way something works. Especially when it is by someone who went out of their way to make a mess out of the entire forum just to annoy people, which you admit you did.

Adding that person as a moderator, to step on the toes of the guys DOING the job just to have it his own way, is laughable. Talkbass isn't a dictatorship, and nobody made you dictator.

You have some good points, which were brought up by those who opposed this when it was brought up recently. It was decided on already, and your opposing voice isn't going to change the fact that this is the way people wanted it.

Again, try the proper channels FIRST to get an answer next time. Going out of your way to piss people off just to make YOUR point will most likely result in a short stay for you here.

17. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    I didn't make all the posts to annoy people. It just ended up occurring to me after I had left them all that they were showing up in the recent posts column on the main page. So I didn't really intend to annoy, I just wasn't sorry about it.

But now I am and realize I definitely did go about this all the wrong way. As I said, I mean no harm. I would gladly go back and remove all my annoying posts, but I can't because suddenly there is no 'edit' function...

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Because the, what, 5 minutes, if that, is that valuable to you? If it is, you're on the internet, why?

19. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    The 5 minutes from ONE thread isn't an issue, but 5 minutes in each of 12 threads in a row is an hour, which is considerable.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You're taking this whole "time wasted" thing far to seriously. It's an hour. So? There will be other hours, more threads, different days. Chill about it. So what if it's 5 minutes or an hour of your time? If you've got an hour to spend on 12 threads, are you really that short on time to spend?

Let it go, take the 5 minutes and call it a day.