Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tired of people baggin' on Vic Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Okay, maybe he slaps a little too much at times (but I love it), but when I hear, or see in a TB thread, someone stating that that's all he can do, that he can't groove, can't play funk, I just can't believe what I'm hearing. Maybe those people have only heard his slap stuff.

I must say that he grooves, both on fretted and on fretless, as much as the grooviest players ever. He can lay back or just back the song, create beautiful fills, etc. The guys ooozes with musicality.

I realize we may all be a little tired of Vic-worship, but that shouldn't take away from our recognizing his mastery of the instrument, and music in general, should it?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i've never heard anybody say anything bad about wooten around here.

3. Yeah I've never heard anything bad said about vic.

I mean jaco may be the most overated player ever but thats another story:eek:

Fatfunker covers head and runs out of room:p

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Do you have any examples? We like Vic. Besides, he didn't exactly slap "A Night In Tunisha"!

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    who?

6. something in the "basses" section about best bass for funk. I can't think of any other examples, but once in a while some hotshot takes a crack at ol' Vic.

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I have to back up Mark. I have seen posts like that too dispariging his playing. A bit of a reach though. I don't think he gets ripped apart like fEiLdY though.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, it would be pretty boring around here if everybody liked everybody else.

viva la differance.

9. Wooten Rules. And its not my opinion, its fact.

sim

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Vic was "funkin' & groovin'" when he played a Beatle bass back in the '70s.
    ...and the damn bass was bigger than he was.

11. I hate his music, but he is a fantastic player. I do get tired of hearing his slapping though, I have the Bass Day Video and it gets boring after about 20 minutes.

12. I love Vic. A Show of Hands is one of my favorite albums by a bass player.

13. I don't really fancy Vic's style (to classical for me) but god dang can the man play! Also FatFunker, Jaco isn't overrated, he's god

14. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    jaco is god and vic is maybe his nephew in law, but not close to him. vic''s awesome though. Though my favorite bassist would be flea. he's god's second cousin (once removed)'s friend.

15. Well, think of it like this: I used to think music was all about chops, now I know its all about chops...;)

16. I bought a Bela Fleck and the Flecktones cd and I was sorta disapointed, I expected something like Joe Satrianni or Steve Vai on bass but what I got was the Northern Exposure theme song w/ slap bass behind it. I'm gonna buy some of his solo albums w/o the banjo and harmonica and hope its better. I heard "Classical Thump" and I was amazed but theres nothing like that on the Flecktones.
    BTW I like banjo but just not in that kinda musical setting so dont bash me for that.

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I had a friend complain that Vic slapped too much. I popped in the Bass Day '98 video and fast forwarded to "Amazing Grace". He shut up and borrowed the video. That was months ago. I want my video back.

Peace,

James

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've seen posts here where some say Vic isn't funky. Cool. To them he isn't.

Seems like someone wants a consensus;)

Next

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [Okay, maybe he slaps a little too much at times (but I love it),

He does slap too much for my taste but then again, any slapping is too much slapping for me.

[but when I hear, or see in a TB thread, someone stating that that's all he can do, that he can't groove, can't play funk, I just can't believe what I'm hearing.

Victor isn't my favorite bass player and I'm not a fan of slap but anybody that would say such an idiotic thing just doesn't have a clue. A quick listen to The Flectones should give even the most casual listener a clue that Victor is a team player. As far as his technique goes, IMO Victor Wooten is other worldly - alien perhaps. In other words, unbelievably good ~ just wish he'd lay off the slap. ;)

[I mean jaco may be the most overated player ever but thats another story

(Pedro looking for his gun.)

[Fatfunker covers head and runs out of room

(Pedro lacing up his running shoes.)

20. Fatfunker runs into room, ties pedro's shoes laces together

Pedro gets up to run after fatfunker and falls on his face.:D

Fatfunker points and laughs and then runs out of the room to go listen to Fieldy's new solo album:eek: