Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tired of same old basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basseddie, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Anyone else out there tired of seeing the same old basses hanging in their local music store.
    The store i go into, the basses never seem to change, bunch of fenders, some ibanez, couple of yamahas, one or two warwicks. Nothing seems to move, same with the bass amps not really a lot of good stuff.
    I think they move a lot of guitars and the drum department is always got something new.
    Next closest store is an hour away, but better selection

eddie

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I would be happy if most guitar shops had a least one lefty bass in stock, so I can try some amps. :)

3. The store have "exclusive" contracts to sell certain instruments depending on the perceived market.

I would not buy anything that been hanging around a shop for god knows how long.

I ordered mine directly from the distributor. I THOUGHT I would be the first hands to touch it straight out of the box. But the store employees got so excited they popped the box and goofed on it for two days before I walked in and asked "Why didn't you call me when my new $1,700 instrument came in?" Oh, we forgot...
    Jackasses.

4. I have noticed many of the guitar stores have trouble moving their stock, except for one store in town, always new basses etc.

It must be because people just don't go and buy a new bass everyday. (except JT :p) most people choose a bass and keep hold of it for years. And the people who start to play usually go for the cheaper ones, or second hand in the paper.

Merls

5. I know, it's always the same stuff. GC around here has Fender, Ibanez, Warwick, Musicman, a few Pedullas, and some other brands. I want to try out some G&L's, Fender Roscoe Beck, some high end jazz basses, but they don't have any. I've called every music store in town too!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't even notice them any longer. But most stores I've been to in the US midwest over 30+ years are mediocre at best. Peavey Cirrus is often about as "high end" as they get unless you go to a Guitar Center. My fully loaded Carvin is the most opulent of my basses and when sales people in many music stores see it, they genuflect while customers start gathering around.

That's why I look online first. Keep Mall of America...I like "Mall of the World"!

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if you guys from USA are not happy, try to imagine the situation here in italy... trust me, a lot worse!

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    That's what I like about Tokyo. There's a place called Ochanomizu, which is basically the "musical instrument district" of Tokyo. If you look hard enough you're likely to find what you are looking for.

But when I'm in little old Charlottesville, Virginia where I go to college there is absolutely no selection. It's like jazz basses, some p-basses, some more j basses, and then one Peavey Millenium.

Maybe us Talkbass members should join forces and let each other try each other's basses.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Living in NYC, I can just about find every bass I want to play. I juess I'm a spoiled brat!!! :)

Hey, don't forget me. LOL ;)

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Originally posted by Nino-Brown:
    Living in NYC, I can just about find every bass I want to play. I juess I'm a spoiled brat!!! :)

It's a conspiracy! Us Western New Yorkers near Buffalo are being deprived! I'm writing a letter to Pataki.! :)

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, and i haven't bought an instrument from a music store in over 10 years. :D

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    It's a conspiracy! Us Western New Yorkers near Buffalo are being deprived! I'm writing a letter to Pataki.! :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Paleale,

Originally being from that area, I feel your pain. When ever I'm back that way I try to get to Airport Music. They usually have Ken Smiths and Warwicks in stock.

There's a Guitar Center on Niagara Falls Blvd now too and I actually got to play a Vigier there once.

Peace,

James

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Check out some guitar shows.
    there was one in Chicago a month or so ago and will be another in Indianapolis in oct. I think. Bob from bass palace goes to most of these also Buffalo brothers. Check out both of there web pages if you are interested in G&L. You can also request that they bring certain basses in stock to these shows and they always are happy to oblige.

14. quote by jazzbo.

"I know this one's iffy, but this happens to look like it belongs in the BASSES forum"

sorry there jazzbo, wasnt sure were to put this as it doesnt relate to any particular bass.
    I guess the same could be said for amps too, as my music store always seems to have the same old practice type amps. Nothing that would make you want to take the afternoon off work for.
    Prices are not bad, but if you want to order something they want full list price. Going to have to talk to the owner of the store, as i have spent a lot of money there over the past 5 years, I think they can give me a break now. Or maybe i sould just take my buisiness elsewere.
    eddie

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    There is about 4 or 5 music stores i go to in my area (one is BassNW, but that is a little farther away.) I alternate music stores every week. So i get to see each music store about once a month (except BassNW, i don't get to go there that much because it is farther away.) I just went to a GC yesterday. They only had three fenders. The had some musicmans, bunch of yamahas and ibanezs, oh yea and a couple warwicks. I'll probably go to a different GC sometime soon, or maybe it'll be BassNW (my choice).

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    HA!!

Try living in North Dakota. You wanna talk about no selection?? I have to go to Minneapolis to find new stuff. My local music store has had the same basses for the last 6 months, with the exception of a few cheap Ibanez's and MIM Fenders. No new high end stuff, ever.

So if you really wanna see no new selection, come here and check it out.

17. sounds like a killer sales ad! :p

18. The music stores around Madison where I goto school seem to move a decent amount of instruments, but the three stores near my hometown have all had pretty much the same basses and amps in stock since I started playing bass... almost two years ago.

I'd guess that the reason the biggest of the three stores up here doesn't move much inventory is because they charge a great deal more than retail for most instruments and tend not to treat people too kindly.

I'm very thankful for places like BassNW, Basscentral, and hell.. even Ebay.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I got so tired of seeing the same old Cirrus Custom hanging around at a local store that I bought it.

20. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    The stores I looked in at Garland had a decent selection of instruments (it's been over a year so I don't remember it all). Now, the store in Mesquite where I bought my bass has mostly Fender, Ibanez, and Peavey basses, and I saw a fretless Yamaha there.