Tired of these blisters..

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Master of Domain, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Master of Domain

Master of Domain

Sep 18, 2015
    Hey all,

I had some good callouses on my playing fingers in the right hand built up. I was doing gigs and playing pretty often with no problems. Then after a long gig playing harder than usual, new blisters opened up.

Now, more than a month later, im still dealing with new blisters. I play every day and have tried popping and keeping them, but old ones keeping giving ways to new ones. Any advice on how to prevent this?

2. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Just don't play harder than usual at gigs. Try to remind yourself that each time you have a gig. Turn up the amp so you can hear yourself.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  3. Master of Domain

Master of Domain

Sep 18, 2015
    Thanks for your response. I have not played harder than usual at any gigs after the one I mentioned. I played hard at one gig, and now I can't seem to get rid of them, even if I play lighter for a few days..

4. It'll be tough, but try keeping the blister dry for a bit. I've found it to help the skin eventually harden

5. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    There are other informative threads on this topic if you do a search.

My suggestions would be take some time off to heal, and try something like New Skin to protect the area throughout your day.

Maybe switching to a lighter or softer string like an Obligato or even a nylon could possibly help.

Once I got past all that, the best medicine is prevention in the form of regular practice to keep the callouses happy - good luck - blisters suck!

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I have never stopped having blisters and just gotten used to it. My best ones last a few months but I've had blisters on top puff blisters before through different layers of skin, old and new.

Still I would look at your right hand technique. Anytime the pull results in the layers shearing against one another will exacerbate the problem. Things got better for me when I changed my stroke so that I'm pushing the string into the fingerboard and get a clean pop off my fingers. If it comes off like a finger snap, it'll surely blister readily.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  7. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    Try (no kidding) urinating on your fingers in the morning and let it dry. I've learned this from conga drummers and (other) manual laborers.

Seanto likes this.
  8. Jason Hollar likes this.
  9. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Is that tape much different than sports tape? What so special about that tape? The guy on the picture even has his left hand fingers taped!

10. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Must be doing some crazy pull-offs.

11. Try the sports tape if you want, but I just went for the best stuff first.... Doctors hands, I definitely can't have any open wounds on my hands.

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    I always chalked blisters to heat and am having an Aha moment with the notion that it is the stroke.

13. fantasticplanet

fantasticplanet

Oct 14, 2013
    seattle
    you can also just practice at home playing as hard as you can for long periods of time, so your fingers are used to it. that might help.

14. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    try putting on vaseline on your finger tips before going to bed. it helps accelerate healing and also keeps your finger tips from feeling sore.

15. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Gut strings won't blister you.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021