Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tired of wading through BS when buying used

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I am in the market for a lot of diffrent peices of used gear. Frankly, I have been met with nothing but pure B.S. from the general public the whole way through. I am starting to get VERY pissed off. Reasons:

#1: Everyone always has to post some BS excuse as to why they are selling their gear. "Cough Cough... I'm sick and lost my job, need cash to pay for medical bills....." "I just lost my job and need the cash..."

I don't need to know why someone is selling their gear. They always try to play off your emotions and avoid giving the real awnser which is, I don't like this item I want to get rid of it.

I would say most people selling gear sell it because they don't like it anymore and want something else. Yet, not once have I heard anyone say they are selling something because they don't like it.

#2: Rediculous hype. I get tired of people telling me how awsome their gear is. "Man, this Rouge shreds." "My amp that looks like it stormed Normandy is in 'excellent' condition"
    "This 15 watt practice amp can easily be heard over any drummer"

#3: Using bloated price examples. "Musicians friend says my fender squier retails for around $500 new, but I'll give it away for $300.

#4: Lying about it's condition.

Here is a sample of what I usually end up reading:

"Cough, cough.... I just lost my job due to illness, which is forcing me to part with this beautiful peavey squier. It is in mint condition other then the fact its beat to crap. This bass is so awsome, it will freakin rock you!"

Here is what should have been said:

"Selling a peavey squier in OK condition for $75 OBO"

2. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Check this out. This is a clip of an ampeg I was after.

Seller: "Ampeg SVT III Pro ~ $650.00"

Me: "Do you have the originial receipt so the warranty can be transfered?"

Seller: "Actually, this is an ORIGINAL Ampeg SVTIII"

Me: "Will you sell it for 600?"

Seller: "650 firm"

Seller reposts ad the next day saying: "All are OBO!!! "

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does this all make sense to you? I mean, like, when you're getting all pissed off and stuff, in your head, does it all fall into place?

4. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Well man, it pretty much made sense to me before I got mad. People get crazy stupid when they chase after the all mighty dollar. :meh:

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    You heard him, men! Police the Internet! I want every person posting a classified ad rounded up and given a good firm talking to!

Ain't nobody gonna post an overly verbose ad on my watch. You can rest easy now, Mr. Ed.

;)

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What horrible thing has happened in your life to make you think everyone is lying? Come on dude....you're trying to call out someone who is sick?

-Mike

7. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Wow.

If I didn't "need the money" I would've never sold anything I ever owned in my entire life. I've sold amps I loved just because I needed more power, sold a 2-space rack case (Thanks MJ :)) because I went to a 4-space, have sold numerous basses that I would die to have back just because I went from 4 to 5 to 6 to 4 to 5 etc etc...

While I'm sure not everyone is honest about why they sell their gear, more often than not, people who don't need money don't sell their stuff. So if a guy says he lost his job, he probably did. If he says he has a new baby on the way so he doesn't need a 1000W amp, it's probably true.

When I'm buying used gear, I personally like the stories behind how the piece was acquired, what it had been through, and yes, why it is being sold. Just call me sentimental, but I like a good story.

Jake

8. Once upon a time, there was......

(come on people, you knew someone was gonna do it)

Mike

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...a really sentimental guy that liked to read internet gear for sale ads...

10. ....he became quite frustrated after a while...

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, I'd have to say, that's a little extreme. I've gone through plenty of ups and downs in my life. In the "up" times, I buy gear, and in the "down" times, I'm forced to sell it. I agree with Puarija, I'd never voluntarily sell anything that I bought. I bought it "for a reason", 'cause I thought is was good. If it didn't fully meet my expectations, well, that doesn't necessarily mean it's "bad", does it?

Okay, I hear you. There are definitely some hype artists out there. On the other hand, it's a matter of "caveat emptor", right? You're "always" taking a risk when you buy an instrument, whether it's new or used. If you're really lucky, and your dealer is really patient with you, you can spend time "in the shop" setting up the instrument and tweaking it to your own personal tastes, before you buy it.

On the other hand, once you've been around a while, you get a "sense" for an instrument. Probably more so "in the store" than on eBay, but still you get a sense for the relationship between the advertising and the reality. There's been more than one occasion in my life where I probably paid more for an instrument than what it's worth on the open market, but "for me", it was what I wanted (and needed) at the time.

It's really a pretty subjective equation, isn't it? The "worth" is in the eye of the buyer. :)

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Of course, the other option is to stop looking at the ads ,and to stop buying used gear. :eyebrow:

People have been selling stuff like this for a loooooooong time. What makes you think the anonymity of the internet would make things...better?

If people posted JUST the facts and JUST told the truth, there wouldn't be any such thing as advertising, now would there?

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    "For Sale-Ampeg 4x10 cabinet. I am selling it because I don't like it and I want something else. It is not a super-amazing sounding cab. It is not in perfect shape. I would like you to pay me as much as you possibly can for it. More than I paid is preferable."

Boy, an ad like that would REALLY draw me in. Is that what you're looking for?

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Dunno about everyone else but when I buy something I want it for the absolute lowest price I can get it...when I sell something, I want the most I can get for it....

Anything else that goes with it? Well that's when you use your good common sense to help in the purchase/sell decision.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I've got a cab for sale if you're looking. It's the freakin' awesomest, mint+ condition and it breaks my heart to sell it but I've suffered a personal tragedy and am letting it go for a tiny fraction of what these things sell on Ebay. PM me if you're interested!

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ed, offhand, is this thread going the way you expected?

18. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    ahh... this made me laugh heartily. I'm curious too. :)

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    There is a legitmate reason to do this. I can't count the number of times I've had gear for sale, and the FIRST question I'll be asked is "Why are you selling?"

Buyer beware. If you don't know the realities of the gear you are buying, don't be buying it. This annoys me to, but it is all part of being an educated buyer.

Another reason to be an educated consumer. KNOW what "going price" is and ignore the hype. I personally could care less what Musicians Fiend sells crap for.

Now this one annoys most people. THIS is the reason you should always request more pics if the ones provided are not sufficient, and more information if you have any questions in your mind. It also doesn't hurt to get some sort of 24 hr. trial period.

20. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Another thread whining... 1¢

Brendan nailing the thread starter...priceless! :D