1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI's and Tremolos?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Yvarg, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Hello all, I'm looking for some new strings for my Ric 4005 knock-off.

Detailed explanation:
    I'd like to try out some flatwounds on it, but my main problem is that I have a Kahler tremolo on the bass. Because of this, I can't really use high tension strings or the range that the trem can bend is much smaller. Right now I have a set of stainless Rotosound rounds (.095 - .040) on it and the tension seems to be fine, but the sound is nothing to write home about. I've a lot of good things about Tomastik Infeld flats here and I've heard that they're pretty low in string tension. Will they work on my tremolo? Normally I wouldn't bother asking, but for $55 a set I want to make sure they're what I want before I buy.

The bottom line (for those whose time is worth conserving :D) :
    Will a set of TI Jazz Flats be compatible with a Kahler tremolo?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Whoa whoa whoa, before we get to the string question, we gotta see pics of the 4005 clone with whammy bar! :)

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yeah Pics!

On topic, they give some extreme bending options, and you can even take a spring out of the Kahler with them, to give it a more bouncy feel. This is really nice! :eek:

But, they break a bit too easy, so I stopped using them on my Kahler,(Jazz rounds too), too expensive to be replacing strings often.

4. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I'm in the process of testing out a set of Chromes on one of mine, with only two springs, might be an option.

5. Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Here's the bass:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darkstrike, you said they break too easily? How do they break, I mean did you have them break from bending up a lot or did they just wear out or what? I've broken about three G strings with the kahler before I realized that I couldn't safely bend strings more than a few half-steps sharp. I really use the trem for dropping the pitch anyway.

Also, I briefly tried out a set of Chromes I had lying around, but the gauges left me with only about a whole step to drop the pitch (I have a good three whole steps with the rotosounds on the G and almost an octave on the E).

6. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    1st, WOAH! That bass be awesome!:eek:

2nd, they're brittle, at the ball end, and can snap pretty easy(I've even had it happen without a trem, and know guys its happened to as well), from wear and tear, if its mainly dropping, they should be ok, and they have the most range both up and down I've ever had, more than strat trems. I'll have to try them again.

3rd, you should check out BassTremFanatics, its a site for those of us who like whammy bars on the low end. The guys would love that bass, and Eric would know a lot more about this than me.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Who made that bass?

8. Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    I made that bass. :)

Thanks for info Darkstrike and the link to that sweet forum. I'll definitely be posting there soon.