TI's for a Stingray5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jan 27, 2003.

1. I'm really into trying out a set of TI's but I can't decide if I should get the Powerbass or the Jazz (roundwound) set. From what I hear it seems like I would like the Jazz set the most, but the tension worries me a little. Has anyone experience with this set on a Stingray? How's the (rather thin) b-string? Would I loose my low freq's, and will I still reatain my Stingray bite?

Any comments?
  2. I have used the TI powerbass on my five string. I have not used the Jazz rounds. The tension is almost the same in the B string though (27.55 lbs for the rounds vs 27.99 powerbass) according to the specs. The powerbass has higher tension in the other strings. I liked the powerbass above any other strings I tried. Took me a lot of experimenting to find the powerbass to work with my five string. I wouldn't hesitate to try the rounds though and try them in several places you play, as well as see how they sound with your instrument as the strings get older.

I have not much experience with the Stringray, so can't help there.

I really have come to like the thinner strings of the TI jazz series and have no problem with lack of lower frequencies with the TI powerbass. The thickness of the B string is almost the same for both powerbass and jazz rounds and I had no lack of low end. Most of the frequencies (low end included) comes from the body woods, and then neck of the instrument and quality of the pickups, not just the strings.
  3. Thanks Alembicbassist. I think you're right about the low end. Sometimes it's even easier to hear the low end with low tension strings, because higher tension strings seem to enhance low mids, which tend to mask the real low freq. Complicated thing, this bassplaying business!

Anyone have experience with Jazz rounds on a Stingray?
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't have experience with Jazz Rounds on a Stingray, but I do have Jazz Rounds on three of my basses.

The low B sounds great, even though it is only .118.

I don't have a problem with the tension, either. There is a settling in period of a couple of days where you'll find yourself tuning frequently to keep them in tune, but after that, they are perfectly stable.

The tone is similar to the meatiness of the Jazz flats, but they definitely have some roundwound bite.

The windings are smaller than on normal roundwounds, so they have a smoother feel than most roundwounds, too.

The sound is not brittle, or bright. They have silk under the outer wrap, and this helps to cut out some of the zing. I don't really go for superbright strings, so I love the fact that the silk kills odd order harmonics. The tone is pure, and sweet.

I hope this helps a little.
  5. Thanks alot Basmonkeee. Think I'll order a set of Jazz rounds then. BTW it was the tone of your bass in a clip you posted a little while ago, that got me hooked to these strings. Great tune, and very tasty playing! :)