Ti's on ABG?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassbully, Mar 13, 2010.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I walked in to my local GC where i get very good CS and the guys pretty much know their stuff. Anyhow I see a used in good shape Ibanez AEB45 slimbody acoustic bass for $170.00 with a hardshell padded case. I like the slim line and it sounded loud unplugged (a plus) and roared plugged in, louder and deeper than a $900.00 Breedlove i put it up to. I found out the AEB45s were only made a year or two in early 2000 and ran for close to $500.00 new...decent score :hyper:

So i want to run flats on her and have a set of used light chromes and a set of used TI JF. I think the Ti's would give me more of an upright thump. Any ABG Tbers running flats? Chromes or TI's that have a say and could throw me a bone. thanks

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I use TI's when recording, and rounds when jamming, thinking of going back to Roto flats for the lot, as a compromise.

3. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Thanks , the reason i asked is all the ABG i have ever picked up and tried have always been strung with rounds. I am a flats player and hope to get that uprightish tone or as close as i can plus the smoothness that flats offer.

4. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I used TI flat on a Taylor AB2.
    They sounded great.
    Big, round, defined tone.

5. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    cool...thanks

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Oh, they'll definatly help that vibe, the reason I swap to rounds for jamming is purely a volume deal, the TI's are quiet unplugged.

7. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    I tried Chromes on my Dean EAB and they were too "clacky" sounding for me. TI's are a lot smoother sounding and have a more upright-ish tone on my bass.
    It's been my experience with ABG's that they can be kind of finicky about what strings will sound good on them. You may have to try several different styles and brands till you find the ones that give you the best combination of tone, volume and feel for your bass.
    Also, don't give up on a set of new strings right away, especialy with flats. New ones take some time to settle down and mellow out. And, if you try a set and they don't work for you, you can always sell them in the classifieds and re-coup some of your $$$.
    Good luck, B.

8. It usually helps to use a string designed for acoustic basses. TI makes a set but like most acoustic sets they are roundwounds. They are nylon core and get a really nice upright sound. They are also very smooth for roundwounds because they use small windings.

9. I have D'Addario Chromes on my Fender BG-31 and it sounds pretty awesome. I don't plug this bass in because I prefer my P-Basses and the E string is really quiet.

Back on topic, the Chromes sound and feel great. I pick up my BG-31 quite a bit because it's great for dorm room jammin'. Best of luck!

10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I have a set of TI JF344s on my Ovation CC074 and the sound and feel is fantastic. I'd never go back to the standard bronze rounds. 1 million percent better with the TIs....

11. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Thanks for the help. I will go with the TI's first since they are very mid friendly and then switch to chromes if there is an issue. The reason i asked now is not that i cant change strings etc myself. I get a free setup and string change when i pick up this bass and i already have the strings to take in.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021