TIs on AC40

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bluemonk, Sep 4, 2005.

1. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Have any of you put TI flats on a Carvin AC 40 or 50? The tapewounds that came on my Ac 40 are great for jazz and acoustic music, but when I've tried playing acoustic rock, the bass doesn't cut through. I have solidbody basses for rock, but I was wondering what the TIs might do for tone and volume.
  2. That's an interesting question...I have an AC40 and I still use the nylon tapes on it. I understand that the bass may not sound like it cuts through for acoustic rock...but I've used the bass extensively at worship service for over a year...Keyboard, 4 vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, drums, congas...while it may not exactly "cut through" it certainly does a great job of holding up the bottom end.

I'd be a little concerned about the sound of other strings with that sometimes unwieldy piezo bridge pickup (fret clacking comes to mind)...But, I'm sure that overall TI Jazz flats would sound terrific on the bass, but that other character that the nylon provides would most-likely be lost.

I'll be following this thread closely, too. I'm intrigued to hear some other opinions.
  3. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Yeah, I get a lot of bottom end, so I'm wondering if the TIs will help with clarity a bit. I guess the question would be the same for any piezo?
  4. sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    I have an AC50 and an AC50F. I had the TI Acouticores on the AC50 for a while. They are a very good string, but very slinkey. I play a classical duet with 2 guitars and the tone of the TI strings was very nice. You have to play with a very light touch though as they are a very "elastic" string and will make alot of fretboard noise if you dig in. When you first put them on they will take a good week or so before they will stay in tune. You'll come back then next day and have to crank you tunning peg sharp like ten turns, but they eventually settle out and stay in tune. I wouldn't recommend them for rock, but they are very nice for classical or light jazz. I recently took them off to try a set of Dean Markley Phosphor Bronze strings - of which the jury is still out. I'm still experimenting with strings for that bass. I like the tapewounds on the fretless. On the fretted I loved them for jazz, but not for the classical music I use that bass for. The other down side to the TIs is cost. I think I payed about $70.00 for them.

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    If you decide to buy them, the DudePit has excellent prices for TI strings. You may want to look over there for info.
  6. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Thankfully, I already have the TIs. I'd just need to switch them out from another bass. And they last forever. Thanks.

Any other thoughts?