'Tis the Season

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Having had my Decembers filled up with private-party gigs (on the slab) for the past few years, I've kind of missed those "chestnuts" that always rolled around this time of year. Now that I'm playing only upright, some of those gigs are starting to pop up for me.

I played "Amahl and the Night Visitors," for the first time and enjoyed it a lot. No local productions of "The Messiah," this year though, but I would have enjoyed that as well.

Of course, the jazz gigs contain the obligatory "The Christmas Song" and "Have Yourself a Merry.."

Anyone have any favorite perennial Xmas gigs?
  2. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Ahh, Christmas gigs. I'm glad Jamey Aebersold put out a Christmas book, 'cuz it saves me from having to take time to arrange them myself (too busy this time of year).

The best thing about Christmas gigs this year is that they've all been early (like 7-9) allowing me to make my regular club gig too.

That and the food. Played Saturday for a Christmas Brunch @ the OKC Golf and Country Club. After we finished, they asked us if we wanted to eat. Earl, a skinny little guy who plays sax for us put away about (no exaggeration) 50 ounces of prime rib. I wasn't shocked as I roomed with him in college and have personally seen him kicked out of 1) Waffle House all you can eat 2)County Line BBQ all you can eat 3) Cattleman's all you can eat steak 4) Larry's all you can eat catfish. If I ate like that, I'd weigh 200 lbs + (Oh wait, I do). Anyway the food was great.

Got similar treatment on Sun. night the 9th when I played a party at the Coach House, one of two 5 star restaraunts in Oklahoma. The tuna was not to be believed.

3. Its going to be my first "gig" (emphasis on "") ever on bass. I have been practicing the standard christmas tunes for about a month now, and next weekend/christmas I will be playing with my sister-in-law at my father-in-laws house. She plays the Piano(quite well), and he has a grand piano. There should be about 20 people there, and I am PSYCHED!!

In the past played the drums but this is the first bass "gig" - !!!

4. Christmas music (to me) is the best of all seasons because most of it swings. Check this out. This is my Church orchestra. Complete with a wild tree light show and snow that falls on the crowd. Yes, that's the choir in the tree! 40 piece orchestra, I'm the only bass.

5. This past sunday I got to play at my company's holiday party, which was kinda cool. Why?
    1. My girlfriend looked very, very hot - I was the envy of the boys.
    2. I only had to interact with co-workers for 20-30 minutes at a time.
    3. I got to see my boss dancing in a most ridiculous manner.
    4. The company cheered when they realized I was playing with the band.
    5. People genuinely liked it and lots of folks danced.
    6. The food was great.
    7. The room was beautiful & huge (21,000 s.f.)
    8. I got paid a few hundred bucks to go to a party I would have attended anyway!

Two weeks earlier, we got to make grunge bands look silly at a record company's party in one of the loudest, grungiest, tattoo-riddled clubs in Dallas. That was pretty fun, too. Nothing like the wedding for the Scandanvian family (oh, the women)! :D
  6. Just did our first `christmas` gig for this year earlier this evening.It was outside,in the town square.Cold was not the word!
    As we only had about 5 minutes to set all our gear up,and the previous band had the same 5 minutes to tear down,things were a bit hectic.In the rush to get my bass from the back of the stage area,i caught the bridge on a post and knocked it flat.
    Happy holidays?