Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tis' Time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Dec 25, 2004.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Hey guys. Today was the day I completed my rack. Now I need to hook everything up. I'm using my Behringer BX3000t as a preamp for now. I was wondering if i can use the speaker output as a line out to the power amp. Also, do they sell 1/4 inch/speakon speaker cables for the power amp to the cab? thanks
    btw, this is what i got.
    (top to bottom)
    Furman PL-8
    Korg DTR-1000 tuner
    Behringer BX3000T
    QSC RMX 1450

All in a 6 space SKB roto-x rack.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    NO!!!!!!!!!
    dont use the speaker out as a line out to the power amp!!!!!!
    you'll end up frying both items!!!!

use the preamp out or line out of the behringer to the power amp. If there isnt either of those you can use the effects send of your head as a line out to the poweramp. If you're going top use it in stereo mode you'll need a y cord to connect both channels of the qsc. if youre going bridge then you only need one cable.
    yes, they do sell speakon to 1/4" cables. just make sure you get the right type. refer to your qsc manual or ask bob lee which type you need as i belive in bridge mode you neede a special speakon cable hookup to do so. they also sell speakon to bannana, and any other combo you can think of.

3. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    *phew* thanks man. I'll be sure not do to that. I have another question...what is the difference between bridge/mono/stereo/etc... modes??

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well from what i hear the qsc manual is pretty thorough but..........
    stereo mode is when each channel recives its own signal thru its own input, is controlled by its own input gain on the front, and powers its own cab. some amps offer dual mono or bridged input which lets you plug into one input (usually channel 1) but both channels getthe signal. then each channel independently powers its own cab and is controlled by its own input gain knob on the front. Bridge mono is when the amp recives the signal thru 1 input, and both amps are combined to power the speakers with a stronger signal. the amps are controlled by only one of the input gain knobs on the front. you also have to hook up the speaker(s) in a different way (which varies by amp). The important thing to remember when running in bridge mode is that the amp can only safely power twice the mimimum safe load for an individual channel running in stereo. that means if the amp is rated fro 2 ohms per side, it will only be rated for down to 4 ohms in bridge mono mode, or if it is rated for a minimum of 4 ohms per side, it will only be able to power a minimum of 8 ohms in bridge mono mode. IIRC, you were thinking of using two cabinets. i woudl reccomend using your amp in stereo mode or dual mono mode so you can control the volume of each cabinet individually. If that doesnt give you enough volume ,then you might want to consider trying bridged mono mode if your amp can saflely power the two cabs together that way.

5. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    wowzers, you know your stuff man. appreciate it. Yea, I'm planning on using 2 cabs. my genz 410 and my avatar 212 is in the mail.

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so, out of curiosity, what kind of outputs are there on your head?
    for kicks, just tell me what all the jacks on the back of your behringer say.

7. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    well, that kind of presents a problem...they aren't on the back. so i don't really know what to do...but i'll figure something out. on the front they are DI out (xlr) line out (1/4) Tuner out(1/4), Line send and line return... i wanted a Sansamp RBI...but GC is gay. but yea.

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds like line send is your effects send. as long as that's post eq that should be what you use to send to the qsc. if you have a dual mono/bridged input option on the qsc then you will just need one cord to connect your head to the amp, otherwise you may need a y cord to connect both channels to the head's line send. You'll know if line send is post eq because once you plug into the qsc you'll be able to hear if tweaking the eq on your head affects the sound coming thru the speaker(s). If not, you can try using the xlr out if the qsc accepts xlr inputs, but the signal may not be strong enough to drive the poweramp. (if the xlr has a "pad" or volume control you can try turning it all the way up). more than likley the xlr is post eq (it may even have a pre eq/post eq switch for it). However, i think your line send should be what you need.
    have fun

9. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    So basically what you're saying is i should use a 1/4 cable from my line send to the 1/4 input on the back of the qsc? I'm about to go get cables and junk to hook everything up. so i'll let you know what happens later. also, where should i connect the head to the tuner? I'm thinking line out?

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes, check the qsc manual to see if you can run both channels off of one input in dual mono/bridged input or whatever they call it. if not, you'll need a y adapter as well as the 1/4" cable so both channels of the qsc get a signal from the line send.

Oh wait, you did say you have a 1/4 line out. That would be wat you should plug into the qsc's input. In fact, if the line send is post eq, you can run one 1/4" cord from line out to one channel of the qsc, and another 1/4" cord from the line send to the other channel of the qsc.

you did say the head has a tuner output. so you should use a 1/4" cord from this to the tuner's input.