Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Title change - I want to blow up Toshiba

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Grrr...need to rant. I bought this digital camera here in Canada but it had some bad pixels so I sent it to Toshiba in California to get replaced. When Toshiba fedexed the package back, I was assessed taxes on the camera. However, I shouldn't never have been assessed tax because it was a replacement under warranty.

I called the customs office and they said I need to show the receipt when I mailed the camera away. I don't think I have it anymore - besides it was only a stupid receipt that said "paid $5". No mention of retain this receipt for legal purposes.

- I have the receipt to prove I bought the camera in Canada and PAID THE TAX already.
    - I have the emails to prove I opened a warranty claim with Toshiba.
    - I will be receiving documentation from Toshiba to prove that it was a warranty claim.

Apparently, this is not good enough. My claim will most likely be rejected because I didn't keep my post office receipt.

...grrr...I totally wish I could jihad on their candy asses...

Do you think I could win if I sued the government through small claims court? Honestly, if you follow the paper trail, you can clearly see I paid the tax already, yes?

...Okay. I'm done! :D

PS. I forgot to mention. The replacement camera was defective as well.

PPS. More information. I just found out that this was all caused because Toshiba screwed up the commercial invoice. I'm gonna calm down first ('cause I'm at work) then demand my money back.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    This reminds me of a friend who emigrated to Canada. He moved to Calgary, bought a nice house. Few months later, he got into a fight with one of his neighbours. End of that year, he got a tax bill for a 'swimming pool'. If you know where Calgary is, it could be a skating ring...but not a pool.

Anyway, he went to tax authorities to complain. They told him to pay first, object later. Eventually, he took them to court. Nine months later, and after paying a lawyer, he got his money back. Three months after that, he got the tax bill again. You guessed it - pool tax was there.

He left Canada...

3. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    it's still above 0 here. :) and only snows 11 out of the 12 months.