Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TiVo... hmm, I have one now what?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Dec 29, 2003.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    got this thing for the holidays...

anyone have one?
    any reveiws from my fellow fellows?
    is it worth my time?
    can i have unlimited SPACE GHOST?????????
    will i slit my wrists while hooking it up?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Those things are AMAZING! My buddy has one. I don't watch too much TV but if I had a Tivo I would.

Simply program what shows you want it to record. You can fast forward through commercials. You can watch what you want when you want. It can also record based on key words, actors, etc. May sound trivial, but wait until you use it....

Great box.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My brother is making his own Tivo with an old PIII 600 mhz pc that he got for free from a friend's company that was trashing them. For Christmas he got a TV card w/remote from his wife a nice new Western Digital 80gig hard drive from my parents and I gave him a sweet sound card and he's good to go. There's some website that has a project that anyone can follow including free open-source software downloads to run the whole thing. It does all the same stuff as Tivo including the channel guide and all that with no subscription fee (it gets programming info, weather and whatnot off of the internet). It also acts as a general media center from which you can control music etc... It's pretty cool and a good project for someone who wants Tivo+more but doesn't want to be bound to a subscription service. If anyone's interested I can find out the project website and post it here.

brad cook

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    brad-
    if you think for a moment i understood anything you just mentioned, you are wrong.

ok ok free TiVo i got, but how much do all these parts cost???

can your bro hook mine up??? :meh:

man i just want space ghost and brak and maybe some oprah!!!:mad:

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well he got the pc for free...one could acquire an older PC that's powerful enough for a minimal price. He got the rest of the parts for Christmas. So really I guess it cost him nothing. This could really be done fairly cheaply if one is patient and looks around, cannibalizes old computers, scans Ebay, asks friends for parts of their old PCs etc..

No, he can't hook yours up.

brad cook

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    We've been using Tivo for a couple of years now. I think the current pricing is prohibitive at $200 for a recorder plus $250 for lifetime service...

Of course I bought used.

Got the first Tivo 20hr unit with Lifetime service from a pawnshop for $100. The second one (30hr unit) came from a different pawnshop a couple of months later for $75 and I bought lifetime service for IIRC $150 (special deal back then). Upgraded it by adding an 80GB drive. Bought a third one, an unused 20hr unit, a month ago and haven't set it up for service. All of ours are Series 1 units.

Recording is just the tip of the iceberg. Being able to do database searches (Wishlists) for different parameters is pretty cool, as are the Season passes. The searches are pretty thorough too, it's fun finding actors in movies you had no idea they were in. Set a season pass for Brak, decide whether you want first run only or all episodes, etc., choose how many you want to keep, etc. and you're set. Easy.

The program guide is tied to how you recieve your programming. I have Starpower digital cable in GAithersburg, MD so my specific programming is downloaded via modem. So far it's been very accurate. You can also surf the guide info for any of your channels while watching a channel, tell it to record, setup a Season pass, etc. while surfing.

The timeshift functions are great. Set up to your preferences, you can watch what you want when you want to, deal with interruptions without skipping a beat, etc.

The DirectTV models have a lower monthly cost than a standalone Tivo.

Here's a great Tivo website: http://www.tivocommunity.com

Hookup should be very easy.

I'd be interested in more info on the setup you mentioned, Brad.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I didn't realize that Tivo was only 250 bucks for a lifetime subscription. That really doesn't seem too bad as long as they never go out of business. My brother just love's tinkering and computers and whatnot. The channel guide with this project is downloaded from the internet and apparently the programming directs it to the right place according to your area and cable provider. Also, seeing as it's a computer, you can surf the web and everything on the TV (made easier with wireless keyboard and mouse of course). From what my brother has told said I get the impression that this system provides the same features as Tivo but I can't personally verify that as I'm not familiar enough with either. Sounds like it's not any more cost efficient than your setup though...I mean for the average person who doesn't get a free pc and all the needed accessories for Christmas.

brad cook

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Actually lifetime service is now $299. It's been a while since I checked;)

Series 1 units can still be found used fairly cheap and Series 2 units are under $200 with rebates.

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    i have read many reviews and they say to opt for the mo. subscr... don't know why, i'll have to see how it goes... btw it's $12.95 a mo. not bad seeing as though i don't pay any cable bills;).

anywho, i'll set it up this weekend and report back.
    thx guys, good info!

justin

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's good advice, no point in springing for lifetime until you know you want it long term.

OTOH the subscription goes with the box and selling boxes with lifetime service is pretty easy.

I've recouped the cost of lifetime on my second box vs. monthly billing. I was concerned back then about Tivo's viability... at this point it looks pretty solid. My next door neighbor had shown me his Tivo about a year earlier and I didn't "get" it. I get it now;)