1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TKL Bass Bag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by wdfoto, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Does anyone have a TKL bass case? What about the quality and placement of pockets and zippers. Is it any good? Prices are good, about $100.00 Model TKL 4647

Thanks
    wd

http://www.tkl.com/flashindex.php

2. greg garrison

greg garrison

Apr 12, 2005
    Colorado
    had one, all of the harware broke, and the stitching fell apart as well. spend the extra $$ to get a better case.

3. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have a TKL bag for my 7/8 flatback bass. It is made of seemingly decent quality cordura-like material and is reasonably well padded. Unfortunately, I have had nothing but trouble with this bag. The zippers are junk and the sewing is terrible using crappy thread so things keep coming apart and falling off. I e-mailed the company and never got a reply. My bag was TKL's premium model at the time, and it cost a lot more than $100. I sure wouldn't buy another one. I'd say don't waste your money and look elsewhere. By contrast, I have a Mooradian bag that has been around for quite a long time and is still in great shape.

Good luck.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have both 7/8ths and 3/4 TKL Bags. I have not had any problems at all. However, I do not like the Handles or where they place them. I have discussed working with them to fix this and improve the Bag. If you have a problem, Call TKL and ask for Kevin. Tell him that Ken Smith told you to ask for him. I don't know what Bags exactly you have or even the model I have but Kevin can tell you all that.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    +1 on troubles with TKL bags... handles, zippers, etc.

6. I used a TKL Bag for nearly 2 years,while my university was redoing the music building. I lugged my instrument all over town, seven days a week in that case. It held up well and I thought the handle placement was alright. I did need to have the fabric that held the hardware on reinforced by a shoe repairman. I paid $150 for mine and I kept it on the bass when I traded it in. BUT....I currently have an old Reunion Blues that is unreal, and a Mooradian that has seen some use, but they are in a whole other ballpark. Even though my experience was pretty good I would probably not purchase another. I'm interested in the new Upton Bag...I think this summer I'll probably purchase one to replace my Mooradian.
    Best of luck,
    Chris

7. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    +1 I had trouble as well. Pretty much everything breaks and breaks quickly...zippers, handles, stiching