Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TKO'd!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brane, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Hey folks,

So, I acquired a Peavy TKA 65 a little while ago (for free). It's an old bugger (I'm told it was purchased 25 years ago, but this is third-hand info so not sure how accurate it is), and says "Hand built in the USA" on the back. Also heavy as sin for a combo this size. :p But, it has a pre-out and power-in, so I run my RBI into it and use it as a power-amp/cab combo. It's been working great for practices and as a stage monitor.

Last night, however, I was running a bit late for a rehearsal with a cover band. With expedience in mind, I just plugged into the combo, twiddled the knobs a bit, and away we went.

I was shocked. I had the pre level set up all the way, and was using the post to set my volume (not sure why... I wasn't thinking and got it backwards). But the tone that came out was really nice and snarly! This band does a lot of the new retro-ish rock, like Jet, The Strokes, The Trews, etc... and it fit in just perfect. I was really impressed by this mangy old thing, and how much air it was moving for simply being 65 watts. If I can find a way to get this sound to the board (besides mic'ing the cab, I have yet to find a sound guy that will mic a bass cab, not that I blame them), I may just pass on the RBI for this particular band.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass on this pleasantly surprising experience. I've heard these amps can be had for $100 to $150, and I urge anyone who needs something for rehearsals to try one out.

Last thought: would taking the signal from the pre-out into a DI box provide a decent signal to the board? I'm a little shakey on the topic, not sure if the voltages or whatever are correct. Would kick butt if I could, though.

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    That should work just fine. The pre isn't adding power to the signal, and it couldn't hurt anything.

3. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Hmm, Ive played probably about 100 gigs and I have always been mic'ed, never DI'ed. I may try a DI soon though.

4. All the sound guys in this area seem to want to go DI only. Some to the point where they will only run your bass directly into the DI box, and then straight to the board, with no pre-amping or effects available at all. I'm happy to say that hasn't happened in about 5 or 6 years now, though. I've lost count of how many shows I've played in this city and within an hour's drive in any direction, and not once have I been asked if I mic my cab. And I don't go out of my way to ask, because I would rather DI, as long as I have some control over the tone.

In fact, probably the thing I like the most about the Sansamps (I've owned both the BDDI and the RBI), is that it seems to be a nice placebo effect on sound guys... "Oh cool, a sansamp, here's an XLR, have fun." :) Now I know that the sound going to the board is at least a reasonable facsimile of what I want to hear. :)

Anyway, now that I seem to be hijacking my own thread, thanks for the input on using the pre-out. I may just give that a shot next time.

5. i got mine for 75 bucks off my brother. best amp i ever had, and without a doubt kicked MAJOR ASS on the low end. great grunt, a sorta wierd clarity to it as well. i remembered i was drowning out my guitarist's 75 watt amp all the time, and at one point i even attempted to contend against his ibanez 100watt halfstack (undoubtedly, no matter how good my amp was, it lost because it wasn't turned to "11" like my guitarist's amp was).

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I love my TKO's. I have a 75 and an 80. I prefer the 80 because of it having thicker wood (deeper bass response). I added switchabe piezo tweets, external speaker outs and a fancy finish to both of them. Stacked together (master-slave, just 1 preamp) they absolutely rawk!!!! Some bandmates prefer them stacked than my RBI+power+Hartke stack setup.

ANDRUCA

7. Andruca,

Awesome! I think you have just inspired me. :) I have bookmarked that page you linked... I'm definitely going to do something in the same vein. As for the external cab... what have you plugged into it? I'm thinking a 2x10 would be complimentary. And would I be correct in assuming it's an 8 ohm speaker in the combo? How does it sound by dropping it down to 4 ohms with another 8 ohm cab?

Funny about the camo finish... I have a yorkie 1x15 cab that was covered in this funky brown paisley fabric... it looked neat, but was old and finally ripped while loading into my trunk. I was thinking of recovering with... camo!

8. I recently sold a TKO-75 that I did pretty much the same thing with (poweramp/combo), and it always sounded pretty good. I regret selling it.

I'm thinking of picking up a TKO-120 they have for sale locally....nice sound, but heavy as f*ck.

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've had the TKO-80 since 1993 (bought it used, it's an early 80's model). Just this year I got the 75 (in amazing as new condition, except for the Peavey logo, by the way). The initial idea was to transform it into a 2x10" combo (with Eminence Betas). But as it has thinner wood it lacks some serious low end (not the cas with the 80) and it's way punchier than the 80 the way it is now so I gave up with the 2x10" idea for the moment. They work ok together (besides, I love 15"s). The camo thing looks good. Be sure you find some nylon covered/impregnated fabric. Easier to clean ;). I'm planning on doing the same to my Hartke cabs (not glueing anything, I mean, just using these little sofa kind of nails to hold it.

I've only plugged my Hartke 4.5XL in the extension spk out. Never had the chance to try it with a 2x10", but that was exactly the idea (my proportion is 2 tens per each fifteen). The internal Scorpion speaker is 8 ohms on both the 80 and the 75. But they both work ok down to 4 ohms (tested this at fairly high volumes without any noticeable distortion nor overheating -these experiments are safer with solid state amps; I also ran my old Hartke 3500 head at 2.67 ohms for years without a problem-).

The sensitivity rating of this combo is a little poor for today's standards (not much more than 98dB/1W/1m) so be careful when you choose the right 2x10" to add to it (can't be a too sensitive cab).

ANDRUCA