1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TL-606 owners unite

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzbassArt, Mar 19, 2009.

1. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    These have to be the loudest, sounds great cabs for a single 15, hands down. I have 2 with 1502-4 BW's and they are dynamite. I can't imagine more mids with a 3015. They are mid machines as is. I wish I could hear them with EVM15's, like God intended. I really don't need anymore gear. These with a PLX1602 kick major booty.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have one that i purchased from the talkbass classifieds that has an EV15L in it and i have to agree. its the best sounding and most efficient single 15 cab that i've ever owned, and that includes a '62 Fender blonde single showman cab with the tone ring and a D140F. with the 15L, it puts out the smoothest subs and mids and actually has alot of top end too. it sounds more like a ported 2x15 cab than a single 15.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I just tried one that I built several years ago and eventually passed on to a friend. It has an EVM 15B in it, and still sounds great. The one I kept has become a test bed for various harebrained ideas:

[​IMG]

It's had all sorts of 15s loaded in at one time or another. Currently it's a Kappalite 3015LF, which I really, really like.

4. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    what does that cab weigh in at with the kappalite?

5. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I have a pair of EVM 15B's in a TL-606 CAB.

My main thoughts about them is this.

They're good for a particular type of sound.

They are a little on the dark side, as far as the 15B's fall off a cliff past 3kHz

In certain rooms you can get a good deal of room gain from them in the bottom part of the spectrum.

But I find they can be quite anemic for 5 string bass, as there is absolutely no fundamental support, and the 2nd harmonic is greatly lacking often, for an open B or A.

The biggest problem I've had with the EVM 15B is if you over power the thing at certain frequencies, the driver has a limited XMAX, and it makes a god awful popping noise that sounds like a circuit arcing, when the coil hits the keeper plate.

Otherwise good for a certain sound, but the 15B is a bit outdated. I haven't tried investigating other drivers for the TL-606.

I also have a bunch of the TL-806?? For the EVM 12L's They actually deal with being pushed a little better, but have a little less bass extension.

Antone-

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    ~44 pounds. It's 3/4" birch-faced fir ply. The top cab is a whopping 27 pounds due to all the crossover components -- including those for the bottom cab.

7. That's what that horrible sound was! Thanks for clearing that up.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    What are you using for a preamp?

9. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    The preamp section of a Mark IV. It's surprisingly close to a Sansamp RBI.

10. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Glad to hear someone else has experienced that. Its UGLY as sin heaven forbid you do it live.

11. I used to run a Turner Model One into an older Walter Woods powering the EVB and an Ampeg 18, always run at insane volume. The Turner put out a ton of low mids which the Ampeg shrugged off, but the EV didn't like at all.

12. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    PawleeP likes this.
  13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Buit a TL 606 in the mids 80's out of oak plywood.
    While not correct, think it sounds pretty good with a 400 watt Carvin 4 ohm speaker as the recommended driver did not give enough SPL for a rookc band.
    Think the (no longer made) EV B115M with a vented mid range is a much better cabinet for my use. More open sound stage and obviously higher frequency response.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have two Mesa Diesel 115's: they might not pure to the TL606 spec sheet, but they're dang close.
    Mine are loaded with Em 3015's.
    One by itself is plenty for most stuff (as long aas you dont' want that shiny horn driven top end), and two powered by a Mesa Walkabout is crushingly awesome.

15. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I've got a pair of the TL-606's loaded with EVM B drivers, and both my wife and guitar player won't let me ever think of selling them. They made that clear to me just last night!

The EV cabs work very well on stage for me. I'm getting a full yet clear tone that is the tone of early 70's acoustic rock and blues recordings. For the last year I've had them paired up with a vintage Bassman. I'm getting to the point where I'm not so sure I want to keep schlepping the Bassman out in the wild, it is old enough to have kids in college.

Any suggestions for amplification?

16. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've used mine with a V4B and SVT with good results; assuming you like to carry heavy objects.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you want to maintain that old bassman/dual showman sound, and bmax-t works pretty well.
    I really like the walkabout with mine...i have yet to power them with the mesa M6.

18. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    The V4BH is an option I may pursue. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one to pop up. Kind of heavy things I can deal with. It is only really heavy that is a problem.

Every time I try and go for lighter gear, I get so much static from my bandmates and wife that I'm abandoning that concept. What they pointed out to me last night is the only stuff I ever keep seems to be the heavy stuff.

19. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx

Attached Files:

20. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Well, I'm driving up to pick up these tomorrow:

DSCN1430.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541184

Got a great deal from a super-nice guy. Can't wait. I'll probably swap out the EVs for Kappalite 3015s at some point for weight and power handling if nothing else. A single or the pair with my B1500 should rock very nicely. ;)

Cheers,
    Liam