Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TL606 port cover

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Any of you guys who've had/used/built the EV TL606, did you use the port cover or no? Any ideas why Mesa didn't on the Diesel 1x15?

2. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I built one over 20 years ago. At the time, I couldn't hear a difference between port cover off and port cover on when playing a 4 string through it. If I remember correctly, the purpose of the cover was to lower the tuning frequency for use with an active low frequency equalizer (kind of like the Bag End ELF). I think that would explain why Mesa left it off.

Ralf

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    rpatter is correct...

Here is some info for the TL606 home builder's plans.

By having a higher rolloff frequency, you're conserving amplifier power for a more useable range of your spectrum...imo.

4. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Stupid question, having never seen the Diesel "in the flesh". Are you saying that the Mesa Diesel cabs are nothing more than a Mesa branded TL606 cabinet? Those I got . . . . and, as others have said, the port cover does not do much without the active eq box - the SEQ (Stepdown EQualizer) from EV. With that, it adds a whole new dimension to the low end in these boxes . . . . although I don't know if it would be of value on bass guitar applications - I have always run mine as low end of a bi-amped small PA, or as subwoofers in a video room.

- Tim

5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A stack of TL606Qs would be fun!!!!

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Stupid answer for assuming I haven't. I have seen *one* in the flesh, and pics of several more in auctions. None had the port cover installed.

It didn't take much research to find it's well documented that Mesa did indeed use the EV TL series cabs for their combo amp extension speakers, as well as general statements that they used "EV Thiele" cabs for every external speaker.

You've never used a TL606 for bass? I have. For the last 15 years. Thing was, I didn't know it was a TL606 until I recently got the Boogie cab and found it to be IDENTICAL in construction to my old 115. Then I began researching until I found out what they both were.

This one appears to be a pre-Diesel 115 and DOES have the port cover installed. Which is what prompted the question in the first place.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've built 5 606s or variants over the years. I prefer them in stepdown mode, the cone excursion is visibly less scary on low bass notes. I actually have tuned my last couple lower yet, and the one I still own has a fairly rare whizzer-equipped EVM driver in it, FWIW. I changed the proportions a little on the last two cabs too, keeping the same volume though.

I expect Mesa used the normal mode because it provides higher overall average sound pressure level.

9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I recently acquired a Mesa 400+, and have been using it with the two 606's to dink with, but nothing serious yet. I was contemplating looking for an older Mesa 2x15 cab, but it appears that I am already there . . . . And, for what it is worth, I am running with the port covers on at this time, and they sound good.

- Tim

10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Very cool. You have the EVM15L installed in those? My old one always sounded a bit wooly... but after hearing the proper driver in this box, I'm thinking it's only due to the mismatched driver rather than the port cover being off.

I think Mesa played the trump card on these boxes by using marine grade void-free baltic birch ply, and generally using top-notch construction, hardware, and rhino covering. Sure beats my chipboard box. Of course that won't stop me from continuing to use my "poor man's Mesa" :D because it has consistently blown away every other name-brand 115 or 410 I've ever used in club or studio backlines. :bassist:

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I believe that they are the 15L, Series 2, and not the 15Bs, (which would more appropriate for bass guitar, but I build them to be PA cabs . . . ). Subtle difference, mostly cone shape, but the 15B carries a little more into the mid/high realm than the L . . . At any rate, I bought 'em new, and they were originally in a pair of EV TL4025 bass horns (If you know that cab, those are monsters! Still have 'em, just upgraded them to the EVX150 800 watt kevlar driver, and reallocated the 15Ls to the '606s), Other than one being reconed, all is original . . . .

And no, I have never plugged my bass rig into the 4025s, but that would be, um, interesting . . . .

- Tim