to 18", or not to 18"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Jan 19, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I'm thinking about adding an 18" SWR or other good cab to my GK 700RBI 210. What do you guys think? Will a 15" handle the deep bass just fine? Would the 18" just muddy-up my sound? Give me a holla.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I gigged with two 18''s ,,,They have MAJOR LOWEND, If you want to be FELT get an 18, but use with another cab with higer drivers. 15's are lower, and some peo-ple even think 15s are muddy. My 15 is used more for midrange sounds, but an 18... man,,,, you got me thinking now.... i REALLY liked the fact i could make people have to use the bathroom on the spot........

Here is what it is man, 10's can even go low, and get all your low end, but DEEP is another question. my 4x10 can shake windows and walls.

Man, i'm gasing for a power amp, and a huge 18'' cab thanks to you! ;)
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I was wondering a bit about this too...

Would an 18" work better as a low frequency cabinet than a 1x15 or even a 2x15? I'm curious to hear what some of you have to say...
  4. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    that would depend on which 15 cab and which 18 cab... there are many factors...
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    say... SWR Big Ben vs. Big Bertha?
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Personally, I'd only use an 18" if I needed to fill a large room with stage volume and wasn't using a PA, and even then only if I was biamping. IMO, nothing sounds worse than an 18" being used full range. Its got the punch of a wet sock . . .
  7. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    In my experience, an 18" will project further out into the crowd. As in, on stage you won't hear it very much (feel it yes, but hear it not really), but it will be hitting pretty hard out in the audience. Plus, 18"s tend to sound 'deeper' to me than say a 15" or a 12" with the same frequency response. 15"s on the other hand will be a little bit quicker and more articulate - they will project a little bit closer as well. Personally, I'd choose a single 18" over a dual 15" simply because of the weight and portability issue. If I had a roadie, I'd probably get the dual 15" though. Overall though, I'd say a dual 15" properly ported and sized sub cabinent will produce the lows and 'depth' that a single 18" would, as well as being more punchy (all depending upon brand of course - I'm just doing a theoretical 'apples to apples' comparison). In your case, unless you're doing reggae or dub or something, I'd probably reccommend a quality 15" cab.

EDIT: 600 posts, ah yeah!
  8. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
  9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Have you tried the Sonic 1-18 With EVM 18? Very clear and punchy. I play mine upside down, with the port on top.
  10. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    18s are good for deep low end. They tend to be very muddy for Mids and are poor at reproducing accurate highs. If you play a 5 string with a Low B then a Cab with an 18 works very well. But you still need another cab to produce good Mids and Highs (such as a 2x10 or a 4x10).
    Many single 18" cabs put out the same SubHarmonic Frequencies (below 45Hz) as cabs with 2 15"s from the same manufacturer. Since the E on a 4 string is 41Hz and a B on a 5 string is 32Hz, this could be useful to Bass players.
    15s work well for Mid Bass but are also very Muddy for Mids. Cabinet design will also affect the low end produced.
    Next time you are playing in a large Club (or visiting one) see if they are using 18s for subs or 15s. Most places I have seen use 18s for Subs and have 15s and horns in the full range Cabs for Mids and Highs.
  11. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Hmmm, mabye I'll look into a 2x15".
  12. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Anyone else have an opinion?
  13. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I only use 10s.. and If I had the $, i would use 12s... don't need anything too low for me.. I rather cut through then just "BOOOM"

14. I've had everything under the sun (it seems). Did not dig the 215 concept much (coulda been the brand). Liked the single 15 better. Never tried 18s. I'm totally sold on 810s forever !
  15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I considered the SWR Big Ben, but I'm gonna go with the Big Bertha, instead. The tilt-back design of the cabinet appeals alot more to me for transportation. Pairing the Big Bertha with a Henry 8x8 should give me all the punch and all the lows I could possibly want. The 15s are so much faster than the 18, but you still get to feel the lows. :D