1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To ABY or not to ABY?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Papalampraina, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Hello folks. I wish you all a great new year.

I'm rebuilding my pedalboard and I have one last puzzle to solve.
    Right after my tuner I will put a Micro POG, constantly turned on.
    I want to buy an ABY pedal in order to do the following:
    (The dry signal will be A and the wet will be B.)
    A will always be on and B will be turned on from time to time. I'm going to do this so I can simulate an 8-string bass so I can have that extra something, due to me playing in a trio.

I've been looking at some ABY switches but I can't tell if I can just go between A and A+B modes.
    Also, when A+B mode is turned on, what's the loss in volume?

In case anyone asks, between the POG and the ABY there will also be other pedals, mostly dirt. Some times the upper octave will be fuzzed and the dry will be clean, some times they will be both clean or both dirty.

If anyone has done it before or has any idea about what I'm asking, I'll be more than glad to listen to their opinions.

2. I used an ABY switch for a similar setup before I went digital. It worked well and don't think there was much signal loss. I'm also in a trio, but try to fill out out sound with MIDI bass pedals.

A few days ago at practice I kicked myself for selling my ABY, but realized I needed a 2 in, 2 out switch. Since I couldn't find one, I made one for about $20. :bassist:

3. Papalampraina

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    So any ABY with A, B and A+B modes will work?
    Do you have a favorite to suggest?

4. I believe any ABY will work. If I recall, there are quite a few threads about using an ABY pedal. Do a search and you'll probably find out much more than I can tell you. :)

5. Papalampraina

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Cheers, thanks! :)

6. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    I have a WOBO ABY, made in Poland. Works great.

7. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    i uses badger schism. works really well and more for ABY dry,blend mix-em up.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm not using one anymore but I used a cheap Morley I bought used and it worked great...did A and A+B switching, which they all should do, as that's the whole point of an ABY pedal ;)

9. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Why not get a Boss LS-2, and leave one loop empty?

Off, it'll be bypassed, on will blend effected and clean through, giving you both the effect and dry. Each loop has a volume section, and it even allows for stacking.

They can be found for cheap, and if it is the idea you were looking for, you can always upgrade, but it'll be a cheap way to test it out.

10. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    I too have a Schism... but before that, I used an ABY up front, and a FEA 2 Channel Mixer last. Worked really well. I would have just A on, then hit the A+B switch to bring in the other channel, then hit A+B again to return to A only. Alternatively, I could do the same with channel B. Or, switch between A or B, etc.

Really, any ABY should work fine, especially if you have a good mixer in the end with independent volume control per channel (or two amps). For mixing, I kinda like the look (and price) of the EXAR IBEX too.

Good luck!

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For splitting a signal after an effect or other active devices, any ABY box will do. For splitting a signal directly after a passive bass, you want a buffered or isolated splitter, as an ordinary passive ABY can cause tone loss with passive instruments. For mixing signals, you really need an active mixer. Using a passive ABY as a mixer is just a bad plan, risking both tone loss and feedback problems.

The Boss LS-2 and Exar Ibex are inexpensive active mixers.