To all Bassist: regarding effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cryred, Sep 24, 2004.

1. cryred

Sep 24, 2004
    what effects do you usually like using in your music? i am more apt to having less than more. i currently use a clean sound, chorus sound and a more gritty sound with my GK Diesel Dawg... I'm new to the bass so i was wondering in your opinion what are a few other must have effects sounds? it seems that less is more but i am not sure... let me know... i'm a rookie wanting to learn.... :ninja:
  2. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Cant beat some good compression. :)
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It is all a matter of personal preference. I generally don't use effects in a band, but there are times when the song requires it. Some people use effects on just about every song. Do what you and your band like.
  4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    I play some solo chord things so I use some reverb and delay. In bands I mostly use Envelope Filter and Octaver - and thinking about getting some chorus. :)
  5. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Distortion and wah for live solos, and in one of my band's songs. I also use chorus for some arpeggios and occasionaly I like a bit of compression. :cool:

Graeme :bassist:
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As other posts have subtlley implied, it's not the effect but how you use them.

IMO and IME, it takes taste and discretion.

For instance, listen to Slash (or whatever his name is), with Velvet Revolver. Even though he is not a bassist, his sound is so dependent on his wah pedal I can hardly keep down my Cheerios.

My point is --- don't let your effects become a crutch.
  7. I really enjoy using the T-WAH on my BOSS ME-50B. I use it for one complete song and kick it in for a bass and drum break down part which really turns some heads.

Personally, I find that you need a lot of sonic space to really hear most effects on bass, meaning if it's just you and the singer, that chorus is really going to shine but kick in the two distorted guitar and B3 organ and the sound is lost.
  8. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I completely agree with this. Another guitarist example is Kirk Hammett. Kirk is an amazing lead guitarist, and his solos have always been outstanding, but on the 'Load' album, I don't think there was one solo without out some sort of effect, and 90% of the time it was a wah pedal. In my opinion it has become a crutch for him. Does anyone else agree?

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Interesting, Graeme..........I have never made the choice to listen to him much at all.

I played an outdoor show with Nugent as the headliner in the summer of 2002 and it was amazing what he did with 4 blonde Fenders.
  10. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i dont really see a problem with a lead guitarist using a wah pedal a lot, as long as it is used subtly to accent or change the tone of different notes.
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    But in some guitar solos, a guitarist will simply play one note, and rock back and forth on the wah pedal for a few bars. This is when it becomes a problem. A good example is the guitar solo in 'Enter Sandman' in which a few bars of the solo are simply Kirk holding one note, and using his wah pedal. I can't really think of a better way to explain what I mean, but give the song a listen and you will see. I do agree that wah is a good thing if it is used to accent certain notes, but it should not take over the playing aspect. Am I even making sense? :)

12. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    i use distortion when an cover song needs it, otherwise... nop.. not yet anyway...
  13. murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    There's also a Rage Against the Machine solo where Tom Morello plucks a note and goes crazy with a wammy and a few other pedals and sounds amazing at it.
  14. I'm one of those bass players that prabaly uses efx too much but none of my band mates complain. I mostly play in trios and efx tend to help fill out the sound. I don't use distortion much and almost never use a wah except on gtr or piccolo bass. I do use envelope filters, chorus, flange and some pitch shift and octaver depending on the gig. Right now I am using a BP-8 all the time and adding an Akai UniBass, Akai Deep Impact and an EHX BassBalls at times.
  15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Distortion is an integral part of my Tone. Big Muffs and my Rat thicken up my sound in a way a GK can't be thickened up any other way. I use my wah for emphasis, tone changes while playing straight eighths and of course flanger for those slow, solemn exposed basslines.
  16. Flanger and Compressor stomp boxes are ok. Turn it up to 11! Let you fingers do the talking! :bassist:
  17. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Most of the time I don't use effects on bass, though once in a while I'll kick in an envelope filter for a synthlike effect, or maybe a phaser during mixdown for one isolated run or something like that. Sometimes I'll use chorus with my fretless for that "pop sheen" sound.

I almost always record direct with my SansAmp pedal though, with the blend knob set to add just a hair of amp-like "honk" to the direct sound.
  18. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Compression.......... all the time.
    SansAmp BDDI....... only to dirty things up
    Chorus................. rare, but ideal in the right context

That's it..........
  19. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i overdrive my swr iod all the time for upbeat rock songs. very rarely use my wah but sounds good those few times
  20. what do you make of yiur Diesel Dawg? I hear it's one of the best Bass-specific distortion pedals. Does it keep the lows well?