1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TO ALL BASSISTS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by madvip, Sep 28, 2000.

1. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    Thanks for reading this.

I want to make a survey to find out whether most of us play the bass guitar as a hobby (like me) or as a profession (full-time/part-time).

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I play bass to pick up chicks, so I guess that makes it a FULL-TIME hobby ;)

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    My goal is to play as a profession but I'm not there....YET!

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    It's a professional hobby! I do it for fun, free beer, and it also supplements my income. But mainly, it's for fun.
    Keeps me out of trouble and gets me out of the house!:)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Part time

6. it´s a part time hobby... :)

"all my life I´ve always wanted to do what I do best... but since there´s no real market for masturbation I just kept with my bass playing abilities" -Les Claypool! (it´s something like that)

7. Ive been there done that (full time musician). Now I just play a gig here and there but mostly on upright bass. I want to play BG more. Although I practice Playing jazz on BG hours a day.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Like bassdude, I've done my time as a "professional" (that means I paid the rent by playing). Did about 4 years of solid roadwork, and a few more based out of the Midwest. Now, I just play for fun and beer money (gee, about the same amount I made as a pro!).

9. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Hobby

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Full-time pro, as an Army musician (for 6 more months) *and* as a second, part-time job as an Atlanta freelance player. ($1000-1400/month).

Beats working for a living
    Jon Packard

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It's just a hobby for me now. I've done the gigging and tours to other cities and playing in firetraps and stinking, smoke-ladden dives. I've played sick and I've played tired and I've played when I was all played out. (Sounds like a blues or country and western tune). I wouldn't trade those years for all the tea in China, but I've had enough.

Now I play to keep my brain active, because I believe music does keep the brain cells alive. Lately I've spent way too much time in a nursing home comforting a family member stricken with the storms of later years. What I've witnessed in that heart breaking nursing home has made me convinced that I must do anything and everything it takes to STAY OUT of one when I am a "senior citizen." I believe, among other things, music is one of the best methods of nursing home avoidance. That's why I play now, for relaxation and for brain protection.

Jason Oldsted

12. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Part time professional hobby, not for money but for the pleasure of playing music with other talented part time professional musicians that play their instruments for a hobby also, not for the money, but the pleasure of playing music with ME!!!!

How's that?

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Its a professional hobby for me as well. Any cash I make goes into the band for better equipment and other expenses. Takes some of the load off the other members.

14. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Hobby.
    Hey, mikemulcahy.. since you're a doctor, IS there a cure for Gear Acquisition Syndrome??

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Trying hard...to keep it strictly as a full time hobby.

16. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    I do it for myself, I don't play for other people (not that I can play that good mind you)....yet. It helps me to relax after a stressful day at work or at home (wife, 2 kids under 6)and it also helps me to focus on what is important to me in life...such as just having a good time listening and playing good music. Now when I get better I hope to play professionally, but it will still be mostly for myself.......with everyone listening.

17. Gard

Gard

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Professional, part-time. Luckily, my wife's happy with that....for now ;).(I do play "house husband" the rest of the time to "earn my keep").

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I work a regular job but I play as much as I can so I would say it's a addiction I cant call myself a pro but I play in two bands and gig as much as I can. Its all for the music and fun but the little extra cash I make allows me to be a gearaholic.

19. I have pretty much the same situation as Pacman. Full time pro in yet another Army band, plus Freelance gigs every weekend.

20. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I know alot of (not all) guys that play "full time" usually means they just don't have a day job. I could do that, most of us could. I wouldn't trade places with them. Count me as part time proffesional hobbyist. I was called a "Hobbyist" as an insult by a guitar player who played "full time" in my area. If it wasn't for his girlfriend who had a day job he wouldn't be able to keep strings on his guitar let alone a roof over his head!!!