To all Hartke users !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Godcreep, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Hi,

First of all I wanna thank the guys who replied to my first message (or questions) about the Hartke 3500 amp I'm probably going to buy. As I've red that most of you guys think that it's a very good head I wonder what sort of cabs matches best with that amp, I mean, is a 4x10 cab and 1x15 cab (XL or not) ok, or for example 2 times 4x10 or 2 times 1x15 ??? And, is 350 W enough to play at club gigs ??
    Also, I had the chance to buy a Hartke head 7000, second hand, thats 2x350 W. (I tried it and the 3500 Hartke sounded better !? ) Does that mean that you can use 4 cabs ? or just 2 cabs with higher Watts?
    Sorry if my questions are silly but I'm kinda new to this stuff ...

Anyway, thanx for your replies fellow bassists !!!

[Edited by Godcreep on 10-30-2000 at 04:30 AM]
  2. Hmmm...
    Well, I just visited the Hartke site (
    and looked for more information on the 3500 amp with the Transporter cabs and the XL cabs ...
    What I don't understand is the following:
    The 3500 gives 350 W at 4 Ohms and 240 W at 8 Ohms.
    Now, does that mean that you have some 'switch' where you select which Ohm you're using ??
    And, as far as I looked I have seen that both cabs (XL and Transporter) are 8 Ohms.. What about 4 Ohms (those should sound better no?)
    phew, this is getting complicated !!

3. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    The Hartke heads are designed to be used with 8 ohm cabs.
    When using only 1 8 ohm cab, the amp will only generate 240w. The minute you plug in a second 8 ohm cab, this now places a 4 ohm load on the amp and the full 350w will kick in. This is done automatically, there is no switch.

It is not advisable to run two 4 ohm cabs with the Hartke heads. This would place a 2 ohm load on the amp and could cause serious damage.
  4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    ...except when using a biamped head (such as the 7000) - then you can have a 4 ohm load per side. This could be two 4 ohm cabinets or four 8 ohm cabinets. (Run a search on the forum if you need more info on biamping). :)
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll bet an SWR Triad (one 15, one 10, one horn) would sound mo' bitchen with this head.
  6. I'll bet an SWR Triad (one 15, one 10, one horn) would sound mo' bitchen with this head. [/QUOTE]

Well, I tried a SWR head and one cab, and I have to say it sounded killer, much better then all the stuff I tried ...

But it wasn't the cheapest too... but it's a good idea to try the SWR cabs with the Hartke head ... !!

I heard also that the Hartke cabs aren't THAT good, if there is anyone who had problems with it, please message me.