1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

to all luthiers...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Feb 2, 2002.

  1. As you may know from one of my previous post, the nut at the end of the truss rod of my cort action bass, is stripped. Just before I accidently stripped it I hat set the neck with a perfect relief, almost straight so I could get my action wherever I want, so I could live with it for a while.

    the problem is the time has now came to change strings, i'm very concerned about the relief changing and not being able to take the neck in it's original position, so I need to get it repaired.

    I've been told that a professional could repair this easily, but my question is : how?. will the luthier simply change the truss rod nut, if yes how will he get it out of there(not with an allen wrench because the inside of the nut is dead round). If that's the way to fix it is there anyway I can do it myself (ordering a new nut or something) if not how much will it cost.

    thank for reading this! and for your help:)
  2. There is a tool called an "easy-out". It's designed to be used to extract bolts that have totally rounded heads or have snapped off in their hole. Normally, you would have to drill a pilot hole into the bolt, then tap the threaded easy-out into the hole and then, with a wrench, twist the bolt out of the hole. In your case, the hole is already there and a properly sized easy-out can be tapped into the nut to take it off. Then you can get a replacement nut from www.stewmac.com and thread it onto the truss rod. Pretty simple and can be done in about 5 minutes.
  3. thanks a lot!

    Where can I get that tool you are talking about.

    I visited the website and I'd like to know if the size of their nut is like one size fits all or will it only fit in Fenders
  4. rllefebv


    Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A great many truss rods use a 10-32 thread... Thus a great many truss rod adjustment nuts are 10-32. Funny how that works! :D

    Another method of removing a stripped truss rod adjuster, especially if it's accessible via the headstock and difficult to drill for the easy-out... I cut off a small cap-head allen bolt, (a 4-40 worked well for this), leaving about 1/8" of threaded stock. Silver soldered this into the adjuster, and after it cooled, easily removed the adjuster using a smaller allen wrench. Another 'Garage Sale Special' saved from the fireplace! Just another alternative...

  5. A well stocked hardware store - especially one that carries machinist or automotive tools is best. I think you can get a set from mail order places like Harbor Freight.
  6. thank you two very much

Share This Page