Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To all metal bass players.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by snailplow, Dec 11, 2004.

1. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Whether your group plays originals or covers,talk to your band mates about covering the Damage Plan song,"F**K YOU!!",and dedicate it to the memory and legacy of Dime.

Direct the lyrics towards Nathan Gale.The S.O.B. who ripped him away from us. :mad:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah....I don't think that song will go over too well in my jazzy band. Thanks for thinking up the rad idea dude.

-Mike

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I know.

I just wanted to say it was a cool idea, but not possible for me. Calm down dude.

-Mike

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    +1.

Its a neat idea, dont ruin it be being antagonistic.

5. snailplow

I thought you were being sarcastic,and making fun of me for being a metal bass player,like alot of the jazz guys do up at the University of Tennessee's music department.Sorry,my mistake.
    It's hard to decern tone from text on a screen.I'll take the post down.What got under my skin,is ironically the jazzer's use the word "rad" when they decide to belittle my love for metal.
    What they don't know is I'm studying music theory from one of their fellow students,so I can obtain the knowledge to play jazz music myself.Some of us metalheads think jazz is cool as well. :bassist:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Brett....completely understandable. I honestly thought it was a cool idea, and I still use the word rad. I just said it to my wife about an hour ago. I meant no sarcasm.

Trust me, if I thought we could pull that song off at a wedding, we would play it. :)

-Mike

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The "S.O.B." who ripped Dimebag away from his fans, of which I am one most definitely, was psychotic. Friends of his say that they noticed he was talking to himself (audio hallucinations), petting an invisible dog (visual hallucinations) and claiming Pantera had "stolen his identity"(paranoia). He was very, very sick, but evidently his psychosis was ignored, misunderstood and untreated.

In this state he was a walking time bomb, but does not seem to have received any treatment or even advice to seek treatment. I can just imagine that acquaintances laughed off his behavior, never dreaming he could deteriorate to the point of perpetrating the terrible acts at that rock concert.

While it is very hard to have even a shred of sympathy for someone who committed such a heinous act as he did, please consider, if you will, that he was mentally ill. He could not discern wrong from right. He had deteriorated to a state in which he had little grasp of reality.

People don't ask to be mentally ill. I worked in a psychiatric hospital when I was younger and can assure you that nobody there was in residence because they thought being insane is cool or cute or courageous.

If it sounds as if I am excusing him for what I did, I am not, but I hope Dimebag's bereaved fans can somehow, sometime find it in their hearts to forgive this tortured person, because his disease was out of control and, as is too often the case in this world, he did not have help to make the world lucid for himself and safe for others.

I do, however, endorse the idea of metal bands playing any of Damageplan's or Pantera's songs to honor our fallen guitar god, but to shout "F*** You" to some one who was psychotic
    does not bring Dimebag back to us and just perpetuates the misunderstanding and maltreatment people who are mentally ill so often receive.

8. snailplow

I see your point,but it'll be a healthy thing for Dime's fans to get their emotions out,so they can start the process of putting his loss behind them the best they can.
    Gale's dead,so it ain't ganna hurt him.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for your insight...it's tough working in that line of work...i personally don't have any experience, but my soon to be momma in law used to work for one and even my fiancee worked in one back when she was a teen.

you raise very good points

:)

10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I hate when people say **** like, oh, they are REALLY insane, so it's not their fault that they did something or killed someone or whatever. They still did it, no matter if they are crazy or not.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I like Ron Whites take on the mentally ill, and the death penalty...

"If he's to crazy to know we're killing him, and it makes me feel better... whats the problem?"

:p

12. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Every Friday we play in the garage, we play the Pantera song "I'm Broken", but we don't have a singer.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't think it's such a bad idea, as long as the venue allows it.