1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To ALL my Canadian Brothers And Sisters......

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 4StringShooter, Aug 5, 2012.

1. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    It now appears that SOCAN is " strong-arming " Clubs in the London, Ontario area trying to get "Royalty Payments" out of said Clubs for music performed either by Bands, or DJs. One Club has been hit with a $6000.00 dollar bill. Socan has achieved permission from the Canadian Government to enter said Clubs, and seize their books to achieve a " number " for payment. It doent matter that only 45 people attended a Dance at said Club, the Club is being billed for their MAXIMUM capacity regardless of the population at said Dance.

I consider this a direct attack on ALL performing Musicians who are trying to feed their Families, and just survive!!
    Artists make money from thier songs from sales of CDs that sometimes THEY support, and pay ALL associated costs to produce said CD.

I hope that ANY money that SOCAN " strong-arms " from said Clubs DOESNT go to some SOCAN Executives POCKET as a SALARY !!!

I can see in the not too far future that Bars will stop having ANY Bands, or DJs due to this draconian activity by SOCAN.

This "strong-arm" activity will also apply to " Open Mic" nights, So my fellow Musicians....BEWARE! DO NOT participate in this attempt by SOCAN to end our activities !!! Write letters!!! REAM your local MPPs ass !!!

Tell SOCAN we will not be held liable for tunes we've been playing already for YEARS !!!!!

2. Is SOCAN like the BMI, ASCAP that we have in the states?

3. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    Yes, it is.

4. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I hate our government, so much. How much you wanna bet the Cons are taking a huge cut out of this?

5. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Nah, they probably think its the best way to improve the economy /facepalm

But would you ever hire an ex-con minister ?
    Someone had to secure himself a job. Being paid to be a dummy on a board of director is no worst than being paid to sit at the house of common while silently watching the con party destroy Canada.

6. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    You say that like you actually believe that the Libs or NDP wouldn't take a cut if they had a choice...

7. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Said clubs is said clubs is said clubs.

but in all seriousness, this is said sad.

8. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Just another example of our out of touch government trying to "improve" something and really just making it worse for everyone *cough*ACTA/SOPA*cough*

9. kyrk01

kyrk01

May 24, 2007
    I guess the next step is to chase the ice cream guy for playing that theme song as he drives down the street.
    How about radio stations for playing music.
    OK lets go big time and go after people who play O Canada

10. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    This is a double edge sword. As a royalty earning member of BMI I understand the concept of insuring that royalties are paid. But I only care about royalties from radio and film. The more that other bands play our songs the more popular they have the opportunity to become so we are more than happy to let anyone and everyone use our songs for live performance.
    I see this as simply another way for low-level mobster thugs to strong arm club owners. Fact is I have never seen as much as a penny attributed to live performance on my royalty statements.

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    I think the idea is to remove cover band because they don't pay the orignal artist who wrote the song and making money on someone else creation.

12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    With the glut of information and content the interwebs has provided for most bands getting their recordings heard is a more pressing issue than getting paid for them. Ultimately this SOCAN BS could end up hurting the artists it is allegedly intended to protect when clubs just stop playing SOCAN protected music.

13. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    Go after DJs and Kareoke then. They have all their songs on MP3 on a laptop. Bet you they didn't purchase most of them.

At least cover bands can re-interpret a song and add their own flavour.

If this becomes common it will result in bars and clubs closing their doors. First the smoking ban, now if music becomes too much trouble there just won't be any reason for people to go out to bars other than sports and food.

14. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    Nah.... Go after Hockey Arenas! SOCAN is charging by the MAXIMUM that the Arena holds.....!! Wont THAT put a dent in some Arena Owners pocketbook!! What about Football Stadiums.....WHOAH !!! Some poor sucker gets hit with a $50,000 dollar SOCAN bill for ONE game !!!!! What....do you think that persons going to think, or say????:ninja:

15. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    Wait, does this apply to any/all music played in clubs, or only cover bands. If the latter, this could actually help music scenes, because if you're a club owner, wouldn't you rather pay an all originals band and not get charged a fee, or have to pay not only a cover band, but also royalties?

16. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    I thought it was a flat rate like ascap does in the states.

Maybe the decimal point is a typo , 600 sounds more accurate.[per year]

17. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    If you are playing originals in a USA club and those songs are registered with ASCAP or BMI the club still has to pay the same fees as if it was a cover band playing them. I assume the same is true in the great white north with SOCAN, eh?

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    /puts a black cat bone in a hoo=doo, bag ,burries it and waits for....
    Music attorney ! !!! to pipe in :)

19. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    It applys to ANY, and ALL music.Whether by DJ, Cover Band, Original Artist, DJ, Choir, etc, stupid sh**, etc.

It WILL put live music " out of business" !!!!

20. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    I HAVE seen the Bill, the number IS correct.:ninja::ninja: