1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To all of the six stringers - some information, please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave-chaulk, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I want to hear several opinions (I understand that I can just search, and I have searched a lot, but can't find what I'm looking for).

I am looking for some information on six string basses (for building). I would like to know:

width at nut
    width at neck heel
    width of body at widest part
    length of body
    length of neck from nut to end of heel
    spacing at nut

That's it... any information at all would be great, in sections or in full.

Sorry for that terrible English.. believe it or not it's my only language, I'm just being lazy today.

Once again, thanks;
    David.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Are you asking what dimensions particular brands of six-string basses have, or what dimensions people prefer? For example, the average Elrick six-string is about 2.5" at the nut or so, but I had my Elrick fretless six made 1 7/8" at the nut, which is much more narrow than most six-strings.

3. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Check with some of the Luthiers.

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The narrowest 6" factory spacing you will find is Ibanez/Carvin. They are 2" nut and 3" inside-inside at the bridge. I believe that is 15.2 mm bridge spacing. Many bassists (especially slappers) seem to prefer a 16.5 mm bridge spacing.

For comparison, standard Fender 4-string bridge spacing is 19 mm.

You may want to consider 35" scale... many seem to think the B string is much clearer with that extra length, but of course a LOT of factors go into clear B tone.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Most slappers prefer a wide spacing at the bridge from all the posts I've seen over the years- usually 19mm.

6. Sorry Brian, I should've been more specific.

I did mean what do people prefer, and if possible, with examples from popular companies.

I've only ever owned 4 strings, and one 5-er, and I've built two 4-strings and two 6-string guitars. my next idea is a fender-style 6-string (kinda' like JT's 7 or 6 string geddy lee), but I needed measurements.