1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To all of you who use flats!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by exidor, Apr 1, 2013.

1. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    OK I have posted in other flat threads about how I just can't get used to flats,I have a set of chromes that I have put on and taken off my P bass over the last 4 or 5 months about 5 times.I think there cute for about a half hour then I hate them and put rounds back on.I've even put the flats on the night before my morning church gig,I woke up in the middle of the night & changed the strings back to rounds.I wrote them off!there a waste of money I want to like them but I can't! my plan was to cut them up and throw them in the trash!!! But before I do that I just have to hear them in a live setting.so I put them on in the morning right before I left so I would have no time to change them back to rounds,and I would have to play them cuz I normally only take one bass with me. so my verdict.they sounded good,dam good!I am surprised and humbled.they are so strong & clear sounding,comments from the sound guy you sound great today your in the mix but stand out & very clear he said he could hear every lick run & trick I played and after service I was told by many that they could here me clearly. so I have decided to leave the flats on.I don't hate them any more.so thanks flat users for all the posts on flats.if it weren't for you all I would have never tried them.now I"m thinking I wanna buy a second jazz bass & try some Sadowsky black label flats.thanks a lot guys.:bassist:

2. Good for you! Some folks take time getting their head around flats, which is fine, it can be an aquired taste. I grew up with them so I'm a big wrap for them!

3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Get real daring and try nylon tapewounds.

lg_0739120000_md.

hofner2_9.

4. +1. And +1 on the number of times I've taken the flats off and put them back on! IMHO, it really does depend on the bass. Right now I have the flats on a Road Worn P Bass with Fender 62 pups and they sound awesome with plenty of punch. They are GHS heavy gauge flats.

5. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    A whole new world has opened up to me.

6. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Yup. Flats are great. I use chromes also, and they seem to last for an indefinite period of time. I've noticed that putting them on and taking them off kind of helps to break them in, so yours should be sounding pretty good even without being played on a lot.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    As a bassist you should be able to support bands and be open to playing in as many different feels / styles / genres as you can, and be able to produce a variety of tones for the what ever feel / style / or genre you are asked to play in. The more versatile you are known to be with your town and feel the more people will call on you. This will make you not only a more well rounded musician but will help you get more work as a bassist.

8. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    one thing about them at first they felt fine but after playing for a bit my finger tips felt dry,very dry if that makes sense to any one.I sprayed them down a few good times with finger ease didn't help to much my callouses felt dry.but after playing with them yesterday morning & evening I think there broke in they feel extra smooth & they didn't leave my finger tips feeling dry so time will tell.

9. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    words of wisdom! you are right.

10. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    I felt much the same way after my first set of flats! Welcome aboard!

11. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

Apr 19, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    I just love the percussive thump and cutting fundamental Tone. I hate the feel of new Chromes as they seem sticky, but the longer they are on the better they feel. Sometimes I just rub a little Intensive care hand cream on and let her rip, the fingers just glide and any residue wipes off the bass and strings with no Ill effects. I have 4 basses and 3 of the are strung with Chromes, the other has rounds as is the "House Bass".

12. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    If you want to slap or just stand out - flats don't work well. But 90% of bass work is serving the song and bridging the tone gap between the guitar and drums. And flats do that in spades.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I played them exclusively for a couple years but recently went back to rounds because they work better for me live. I did try again a couple weeks ago but it just wasn't the same love I had.

But I really enjoyed them when I was into them. I especially like the attack with a pick. So don't let me spoil your fun ;)

14. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    you won't spoil it,I don't think I'd ever put flats on all my basses its just another tool in the bag for me one that I now have respect for,and will use.

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Once I put flats on a P bass I found that sound no other bass or string type could match. Flats are all I use on all my basses .The feel of rounds under my fingers is just wrong....wrong!

16. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    the 1st bass I ever touched had flats.(before I was a bassist) I didnt even know it untill years later , when I saw another bass with rounds. the flats just feel.. nice, smooth as my girls Va@%na . just much nicer under my fingers. ;)
    that said, I've always been a round player myself..tho, now that its been years since I 1st touched that flat strung gibson (well, gibson copy) ..I often wonder if I should actually try them..now that I play bass.

17. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    I used to use Chromes exclusively but I recently switched to Sadowsky Black Label Flatwound and they're AWESOME!!!!

Had LaBella Black Nylon Tapewound on my fretless and loved them too...

Different strings/basses for different genres goes a long way

18. I've had GHS pressurewounds on my 5er for a couple weeks and I love it! I used to wash my hands to remove all the oil before I'd practice.Now,I put on the hand cream and look forward to breaking in the strings even more. I'm definitely putting the Fender 9050s on my other bass!

19. The best set of flats I've used were LaBella 760FL. I tried Chromes and didn't like 'em at all.

My favorite strings at the moment are GHS Pressurewounds. They're called flats, but they're compression wound strings. You can get all kinds of tones out of them.

20. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I have 1 G&L L2500 fretted, 1 G&L L2500 frettless, 1 G&L SB1, 1 Fender Squire P, and 1 Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 and use LaBella Black Nylon Tape flats on all my basses. They will give me the bite of rounds or the smooth of flats by adjusting the bass and trebble. this may not be for everyone, but it works for me.
    BTW
    If you want to try LaBella the best price for either 4 or 5 string in carvin.com. I have not found an online or birck & mortor store to match the price. Shipping is $10.00 for 1 set or $10.00 for 3 sets.