1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To all Rickenbacker experts...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gothic, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Hey guys, I've already closed a deal on a used Rickenbacker 4001 '79 mapleglo. The serial number given by the seller checks out alright, and it's registered in the Rickenbacker database as well, so it seems legit so far, but I wanted to run this one by the Rick experts over here before the transaction. Here are some pics:

ric3.

ric2.

ric1.

If anything strikes you as odd, please point it out to me, since I have to buy this bass sight unseen (the seller lives on an island and I can't try it before I buy).

Many thanks in advance!

2. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I'm no Ricky expert, but the very first thing I noticed was the headstock and how it lacks a truss rod cover...but if it's in the database and is legit, then who needs a damn piece of plastic with the Ric logo? :p

3. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Yeah, I forgot about that. I've noticed it right away, so I didn't feel it was that important (to me) to mention, sorry. But it's a Rick, so I don't really mind! :)

4. looks good to me! sweet vibe!

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Havent seen that Pickguard & color combo! I love it! very vintage/mojo

6. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    replacement pickguard but looks correct based on the trussrods..

7. primus150

primus150

Mar 29, 2009
    looks beautiful man. as long as its registered, it should be legit. Rickenbacker is a pretty high quality company, and I would certainly trust them is the serial number is in their database.

8. ajish4

ajish4

Dec 19, 2003
    Stuart, FL
    Looks legit, case looks to be a mid to late 70's as well.

A TRC will set you back about $150.00 on average when they turn up on Ebay, a period correct one possible more. Ask him if he has it around.

As Jaymi said, pickguard has been replaced....but easily replaced.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Looks good, but it would bug me to not have the TRC.

10. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Thanks for the answers guys! The TRC was lost, so the seller made one himself, and in any case, I wanted a Ric for so long that's the last thing I care about! Well, it's time to cross it off my G.A.S. list!!! I'm so friggin' happy!!! :crying:

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Pretty bass, and without the cover I think it would be less appealing to theives. Grats!

12. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Thanks man! I'll post some new pics as soon as I get it (probably tomorrow, or the day after!!!) :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

13. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I checked there from the moment I saw the ad, it checks out! :)

14. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    tuners and pickguard are not original, missing TRC, but it looks good otherwise. I have seen that one before over at RFF.