Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TO ALL THE AUSSIES-HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Okay, now ive just goten in touch with the bass centre in melbourne and they are talking to me about the labsystems head, the vp 600hp. It sound spretty sweet, and should thinkl that for 2 grand would be comparable to something worth round 3 imported from the uS. Has anyone played this head and what are ur opinions? Help me out please. Thanks in advance. By the way i play in a rock band and need a real kick ass head, other ones I looking at are gk 1001rg2 or genz benz gbe600

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    FWIW I have heard they are excellent heads.

You may also want to consider the ThunderFunk TF550 from www.greensquare.net I believe they run around $2000k in Aus and from the comments I've heard on here - are superb value.

Whether or not a VP600 is comparable to a $3000 head from the states is kind of moot because what a Aussie shops charges $3000 for would cost you about $1000-1500 to import yourself if you were so inclined. If you like the tone, go for it. But personally, if I was in the market I would get the Thunderfunk.

3. Have you considered the pre/power option? I just put this together last night for AUS $2k (including the rack case):

[​IMG]

At 1100+ Watts with a big, thick tubey-tone I reckon it'll do rock/funk styles no problems... :D

4. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    how much do the ampeg SVPCL's go for here?
    nice rack by da way - those crown XLS's are good value IMO

5. Thats a nice pre/power going on up there.

My Eden Pre/Power only cost me $2.5k

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    dude, that svt pre amp crown power rig is killer. Where did you get it from, did u get it from a store or did u import it? Very curious to know

8. Ampeg SVP-CL @ $1200 from Billy Hyde's here in Brisbane
    Crown XLS 402 @ $620 from Allan's Music here in Brisbane
    Rack Case @ $199 from Blue Cat Cases out at Brendale.

You just have to wait for the specials & know how to bargin. :ninja:

9. Choice work!

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I played through a Labsystems 400B for 12 years. I had a hard life and it never let me down. I can't think of anything bad to say about it.

We're gradually getting more gear choices in Oz. I'd also be considering a Thinderfunk, possibly even one of the new lightweight amps from Markbass.

11. The price of bass gear in Australia is a joke. You are being robbed blind on a large proportion of gear in shops. The classic tactic is to show a ludicrously priced amp for $3000 and then say - "I tell you what - you seem like a nice guy, you can have it for $2700". It's purchased and imported for $1000.
    I'm an Aussie who has just returned home from living in the UK and Canada. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw the prices of gear in the US.
    My current head is an Ampeg SVT3 pro. I bought this on ebay from the states and shipped it over. I then purchased a power converter. The total price was $830 Australian - the amp was three months old. I still see them in shops around Brisbane for $2700.
    Now that my rant is over :D I recommend GK. They are fantastically reliable, you can literally plug in and sound good and they are LOUD.

12. Personally I havent played the Lab Systems amps, or cabs- but they seem to be made pretty sturdy, and they are quiet popular... Abit expencive though. I would go the Gallien Krueger 1001RB II, they are great amps, very loud- clean and hell punchy- If you like abit more warmth, just use the 1001RB II with a Tech 21 sansamp... The 1001RB II's have been going on Aussie Ebay for about $1300 to $1500 AUD of late, so keep the eyes peeled.

13. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    just a quick (and probably stupid) question, but if you brought a preamp from the US and got it shipped here would it need any "adjustments" or add-ons to get it working on an power amp bought here?

14. Possibly. I bought a step-down power converter, which you can get off ebay in Australia. The prices depend on the wattage you need to convert. Mine is for 500 watts and so I paid $170.00. For a pre-amp with minimal power conversion needed you'd probably get something for about $65.00.
    It's a good idea to put your rig togther this way. The pre-amp is traditionally more expensive so it's worth the effort to ship it over. It's also lighter and therefore not going to cost you a fortune to ship.

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Whilst gear is expensive, it's not a joke on behalf of the store owners. Most stores won't make much on bass gear over here, the market is simply just too small and it costs too much to get the gear here. I mean, I almost paid more than what my Schroeder 410 actually cost just in shipping. Then plus on taxes, import duties etc and the fact that with amps, they have to be made to 240 V all costs money.

Personally, I don't like the LS stuff, it's too sterile and clean for me, not warm enough. But if you want a clean sound, it's a good amp.
    If you want a bit more warmth, your best bet would be a Thunderfunk IMO.

16. The import the pre, buy the poweramp here is the best option, check on ebay for poweramps, heaps of decent cheap ones $300-$600. Tom Bowlus has a pre for sale (might be gone) going for US$100+ extra for shipping. But if you are set on new and bought from Australia, i suggest checking out the Genz Benz GBE600 ($1200) or Hartke maybe.

17. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    yeah it sux went to billy hydes yesterday and they had like one pre amp for sale and one power amp i think, sux. I have the hartke now, the 3500 and wanna upgrade from that. Played the genz benz 600 yesterday, pretty impressive

19. I have jammed that GBE600 at Billy Hydes many a time, was there one day and a young'n (`15) was with his mum testing out guitar stuff, he started playing Master of Puppets so i joined in, i found out later he was playing though a Triple Rectifier and a full stack (his mother bought all of it !!!) :bawl: :spit: :eek: and all i had was the GBE600 and the matching 115 cab :smug: that impressed me. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way with Billy Hyde is the dumb arse staff member who sat next to the amp and said, 'just play dude, i'll play with the knobs and show you what it can do!' .... :scowl:

20. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Heheh, mate, you gotta go to the PA section for the power amps ;)