Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to all the claypool haters

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Adam C.T., Nov 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okay i am starting this tread so all those les claypool haters out there can air their greavances
    i have noticed that all lot of you knock les pretty hard why????:confused:

2. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I LUV Claypool, I even have/had a primus coverband. He may not be the most musical man around but he's the most innovative one along with Vic.

3. the day i first heard 'tommy the cat' was the day i decided to play the bass.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I like Claypool a lot myself, but I'll relay some of the things I know people don't like about his playing.

Intonation-his fretless intonation is less than perfect, and that bugs the heck out of some folks.

Sloppiness-he has a lot of audible "mistakes" in his songs; again, that bugs some people and makes some think he's lazy.

Tone-I've heard this one the most. His trebley-mid tone is just not for everyone.

I'm sure there'll be others who'll come along and add to that list.

5. I have seen very little claypool knocking around here.

6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    les claypool to me is a god, well sort of. hes the
    s-h-i-t at bass, and when i was in my first 2 years of playing, i tried/did learn every primus song, and how he comes up will all those crazy riffs stumbles me. (lolz, stubles). :D thats just my opinion, don't bag on me

7. I consider him a slapping monster, but eventhough I havent heard too much of his stuff in primus and other projects, I can say I don't like his tone too much and I think he should quit singing.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Like spanky - I've been here since the beginning and have never really seen any "knocking"!

What I have seen a lot of, is people coming along saying "I have noticed a lot of you knock (insert whoever is your latest bass hero - e.g Fieldy, Mark Hippos etc etc) hard - why?" :rolleyes:

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've seen some subtle but obvious knocking. I think there was a little in thread titled "less claypool," but I could be wrong.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Or maybe one titled "to all the claypool haters"? ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

OK - so I did a search!

I looked at that thread - although it was in August!!! But anyway - all the comments are about how awesome he is live. There is one joke about the title from Jazzbo and that's it.

There have been three threads about Les Claypool since then and all of them are saying things like - are you going to see him play live and how awesome he is. I could not find one negative comment in this whole forum!! (i.e. Bassists)

I challenge somebody to post a link here to loads of negative comments - and saying you like his last album less than Primus doesn't count either!!

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Those are clearly all jokes - demonstrating that it is impossible to decribe a tone in words - it is all ironic humour!

Besides - just becuase you don't like somebody's tone, doesn't mean you "hate" them. I really don't like Steve Swallow's tone, but that doesn't mean I am a Swallow "Hater" - he is a great musician, who just chooses to use a tone I don't like!! ;)

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    "i'd say his fretless tone qualifies as "out", as in often out of key and often out of pitch. "

"Don't even get me started on his fretless sound--ugh. It was quite obnoxious, IMO."

I don't think so, Bruce.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah, beat me to the punch!

16. Bruce Lindfield

That's McFerrin - he's just being smug and ironic!! :D

And that's just one person in about a dozen threads I have found, in the last few months - how does that qualify as "i have noticed that all lot of you knock les pretty hard" ?

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It doesn't qualify as, "i have noticed that all lot of you knock les pretty hard"-but that's not what you asked for. You simply wanted negative comments. And that's not just McFerrin-the "out of key and out of pitch" comment was JT. :)

18. Bruce Lindfield

There are a lot more positive comments around here and I originally meant in "Bassists" - I wasn't thinking about other forums!! ;)

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Suuuurrreee Bruce, change the rules as you go :D
    No fair editing in the word "loads" after negative comments were indeed found. BTW, while it's not in Bassists, here's another thread where his playing is described as sloppy and his intonation terrible.

Hey, I like the guy!

20. Bruce Lindfield

But that links to March 2001!!! :eek: If you're going to look through every thread in "Basses", we'd be here forever!!

I think we have to keep it to the Bassists forum only or it is just an impossible task! Still it shows you how ridiculous it is to make these "blanket" statements about what people are saying or not.

There are thousands of posters around here all with individual opinions and likes/dilikes - you just have to accept it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.