1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To all the Lakland owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by u84six, Jan 6, 2012.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I'm thinking about picking up a Lakland P bass and was wondering if any of you know the best place to order it. I called a few places in my area (MA) that showed up on the dealer list and they seemed really unreliable.

Also, I know that they have a US made version and skyline version. I definitely like to buy US made products but wanted to make sure that it's worth the extra money in this case. Can this be justified somehow?

Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks

p.s. I want to order one to my spec (i.e. paint job, wood, etc).

2. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Also, can anyone give me a ballpark on a price that I can expect for a custom built one? I don't want to get ripped off. :)

3. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Bass Northwest has 3 Lakland Ps, although they are Skylines. 2 4s and 1 5er. Also check Bass Central. They usually have a fairly large selection of both US and Skyline Laklands. I have a 55-94 and it is a super instrument! The quality of it is unsurpassed bu any maker, imho.

4. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I'm looking to have one built to my spec rather than finding one that's already built. That's why I have so many questions. :) But thanks for the info.

5. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    The imports are only available in certain colors, so if you want one fully spec'd out, you'll have to go USA. I've had both and they are terrific basses. I happen to have USA models now, just a matter of which turned out to be keepers. The USA models are quite spendy new, check Bass Central for a ballpark of new prices.

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Pick any reputable dealer you'll be fine. Bass Central, Bass Club Chicago, Bass Emporium, etc, or check to see if there's a dealer local to you if you want.

7. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

Feb 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Bass Central all the way. Those guys are great to work with. I've purchased 3 basses from them with no drama at all.

8. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I recommend ordering your USA Lakland fresh, not buying off the shelf. You'll be surprised how attentive Lakland will be to your individual needs.

Call Lakland direct. PM me and I will give you the info you will need.

-Paul

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Not sure how much you can dictate your ''specs'' other than color, fretboard wood and pickups ( stock vs chi-sonic) for a US made to your ''specs'' you are talking about $3500 - $4000 , contact Lakland they will be happy to answer all your questions.

11. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Laklands USAs are superior to Fenders, including the custom shop. Plus, you won't have that sticky gloss on the back of the neck that Fender loves so much. Lakland USAs are much smoother. Plus, the neck taper at the first fret (even on the P) is so much more comfortable on the Laklands.

Also, consider that you can get the Glaub (Lakland's P Bass) with the Joe Osborm (Jazz taper) neck. That's the best in my opinion.

Skylines are indeed nice basses, but the the USA basses are simply luxurious. They are indeed very expensive, but they are lifetime purchases. They are light (Skyline Ps are not) and the necks are to die for (I like the East Indian Rosewood fretboard - rich and feels like silk), and the fretwork is perfect. Save up for the USA model.

Bass Central generally has the best in-stock selection and can get you any configuration. They are very responsive and reliable and I don't think you'll find a better price.

Save for the USA version! You can get a Glaub for under $3000 still on Bass Central's web site.

12. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Do they take custom orders? Meaning, I can specify the color, wood, etc?

13. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Ok, so for a special order I go through Lakland themselves? Thanks for the info!!

14. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Lakland will bend over backwards to accomodate your personal preferences. This isn't really advertised of course, or theyd get calls all day like "can you do a custom fretboard radius and change the body style a little?"

The guys at Lakland are all players and take their craft very seriously...

Feel free to PM any time.

I am a Lakland endorser. TB requires me to disclose this.

15. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Ok, getting mixed feedback here and I'm a bit confused. If I want to spec out my own US made Lakland, do I have to go through Lakland directly or can I use a store like basscentral.com?

16. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    From what I've read, there's a lot more to spec'ing out a Lakland than what you had mentioned. Example, instead of a through-body style bridge I would order through-bridge so that I can use flatwound strings because that's all I use. Plus, I can choose the type of neck like put a jazz neck on a p bass with those nice block inlays, etc. There are many more options.

17. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    you will get through-bridge does not matter what you ask, unless you request a through-body only and yes you can select P or J neck, I understand by custom : specific radius neck, slightly different body. Call them they are nice guys and I am sure they will answer all your question, dont be surprise if the owner is the one that picked up the phone.

My only experience with a ''custom'' lakland was using Sweetwater, they are also great people to work with, even if they dont advertised all Lakland models they will do their homework to get what you want

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    All bridges on Lakland basses support two loading types.

There isn't a whole lot you can spec necessarily on a Lakland. They don't build just any ol' thing. They have a nice list of options you can choose from, such as color, wood type, etc. If you want are going for a certain look, such as extreme birds eye maple on your fretboard, or a specific type of quilting on a maple top, then they'll work with you to get that look. But they aren't going to do things like change the fingerboard radius, or make a 34.5" scale instrument. That's why many are saying you should see if you can find the color and look you want in a bass already sitting in stock at a dealer. There's a minimum price that dealers can advertise, but if you see something you like then many times they'll knock the price off a little to move it out the door if you call and ask.

It's up to you.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Give George or Chris a call at Bass San Diego. They're easy to work with and I'm sure they can set you up.

As far as quality, the Korean Laklands are comparable in quality to the US-made ones, but the electronic components are different. Only you can decide whether the extra money for a US model is worth it.

I've got two US Laklands built to my specs (a 55-94D and JO5). For me, there's just something about playing a bass built just they way I want it. You can expect to pay around 70 percent of list price for whatever you order, more or less. For a US model, I doubt you're going to be paying less than $3K, but who knows. Call George and ask what to expect.

(858) 550-0300. Bass San Diego

20. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Electronics between the US and Skyline basses are identical. Not sure what you mean.