1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To all the long-haired people out there

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Qvist, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Hey hippies ( :p ), I'd like to ask you guys a question! when you grew your hair, did you ever cut it a bit once in a while in the process of growing it, in order to make it grow faster, or is that just a rumour?

(Sorry for bad language if any, it's kinda hard to explain a matter like this in a foreign language @_@!!)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think it makes it grow faster but its a good idea either way because it helps prevent dead ends.

3. I used to have long hair - even had it permed in the 80's!! (what was I thinking??). Nowadays it's a chock everytime I get my hair cut - just seeing the inevitable bald spot increase whenever the mirror is held up to view the back of my head - oh well

Maybe I could get a wig? hahahaha

4. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    used to have long hair and i never had it cut in the process of growing it.

5. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Hehe, hopefully some guy will invent some sort of miracle drink that can save me from that when my hair begins to pop off :smug:

DbNBassist, how long was your hair, and how did it grow? Downwards, away-from-your-head, or upwards? =P

6. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    Well, I had my long, and cut it, and over again. It does seem like it grew faster after I cut it, though I never grew it back to the original length.

7. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    I always got it trimmed up a little every couple months. My hair grows really fast though so it didn't slow me down much and it looked a bit neater.

8. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yeah, I think that that only works if its a small amount to take off the split ends. Problem is that so many hairdressers hear "a little trim... maybe an inch" and go wild taking off way more than you wanted gone.

9. You want to trim it to take off the split ends.

But seeing as your hair grows from the follicle, cutting the other end doesnt make it grow quicker.

The reasoning behind thinking it grows quicker after you cut it, is if you shave, theres no hair, then you notice it suddenly, then it seems to stop growing as quickly. In actuality, its growning at the same rate, its just people notice it going from nothing to something, more than something to something with a little bit more.

When i had long hair it was just a matted mess, make sure to wash it regularly!

10. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I have pretty long hair, but it's so wild that it seems short.

getting dreadlocks soon, tho :p

11. yes i do and i feel that it helps. and my hair is long and string hehehe down to my bum ha

12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

I sense some hostility issues here, Qvist. :eyebrow:
    Did some long-haired hippy looking guy (with split ends) recently run over your cat, or something? :p

The last time my hair was cut was when I was married to a woman who liked it cut shorter. I've always liked it long and when I became no longer married there was no more reason to not let it grow. As long as it's washed and brushed daily, 6+ years of growth is no problem and it doesn't need trimming either.

Not a "hippy", not anti-establishment, not making a statement of any kind, I just like the feel of long hair.

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    So how does the hair on your arms or legs know how long to grow before it stops. I ask this because if you shave a section of your arm or leg (like if you have surgery or something) it will grow back quickly to the same length as before and then stop. Is the hair on your head different? I'm guessing that's what Qvist is asking about. {{{when you grew your hair, did you ever cut it a bit once in a while in the process of growing it, in order to make it grow faster, or is that just a rumour? - Qvist}}}

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Get it trimmed.
    It'll just look a lot nicer, and you won't look like an idiot.
    Speaking of which, I need to call the shop..

15. well, i havent cut my hair for almost two years not, not even a trim, and it was pretty long back then too.

a couple months ago i started getting split ends and all kind of knots, but now they are just.... well, gone, and i have no idea why.

16. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Gotta love sarcasm :hyper: ! =P

Actually, my hair is right around shoulder length right now, so I'm half-harrasing myself =), and it's gotta be much longer!

Thanks for the advices everyone, (i do wash my hair everyday, except when I forget ((I forget to do so like twice a day though :help: )) ). I think I'm gonna cut the dead ends then, and I'll make sure the hairdresser doesn't take too much! thanks, I hope you all can feel at ease now and don't need to worry about my hair ('cause I know how serious people tends to take my hair >_>)

(There was much sarcasm in this post btw!)

17. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    The long-haired hippies and the afro blacks all get together 'cross the tracks, and they PARTY! OW!
    -James Brown

I heard that getting a trim helps hair grow faster, but maybe that was just an evil con from my dad tryin to get me to cut my hair when I was 13.

18. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    i just let it grow.

i have a habit of growing it out really long, getting sick of it, then cutting it super short, then repeat.

19. THAY CUT MY FUK*N FRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT SH*T AIN'T COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pictures1423.
    Pictures1099.

20. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    I used to have pretty long hair, its kinda grew out more than it grew long, since I have thick, wavy hair. But I got it buzzed, like a 3 or 4, and im never going back lol Waking up in the morning and not having to do pretty much anything is awesome. My hair was so bad, then when I slept, I had to worry about which side of my head I was sleeping on so in the morning I wouldnt have one side of my head sticking out with hair... :rollno: