Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To all the other FX heads...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 25, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    For those of you who have multiple effects, or well even just one or two I have a question:

Do you find the one setting that is just the ultimate, uber, bad ass setting and leave it there. Get your sticky and draw it out or mark it with marker on the pedal. (And to a greater degree buy more pedals to have all the different tonal colors.)

OR

Do you knob twiddle and find 2 or 3 different settings that you change through a show/rehearsal depending on what the song needs or whatever.

Which is it? I find myself lately trying to get at least 3 good settings and mostly using one but having the other one or two just incase. But before I was very much just get THAT setting and leave it. Comments, opinions?

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I tend to be in the middle. I find a few good settings and write them all down, but usually leave it on the one I find best. I haven't done a gig where I've needed more than one pedal, so I can't comment about a show, but during rehearsals I usually change a couple of settings for different sounds.

Another thing is I have multiple pedals for the same kind of sound. For example I have a Q-Tron, a DOD FX25 and an MXR Bass Auto Q. They all do mostly the same thing (Envelope filter) but they all have different sounds. Even though the MXR can do the same as the Q-Tron's up setting, it can't do the down setting, and having to change the settings on the MXR would annoy me. So I'm mostly a fan of different pedals for different settings, but I write down any decnet settings I find all the time.

Another example is my distortion. I have an Original Guv'Nor for Low End Crunch, and an ODB-3 for Fizzyness. Cool on their own, but combined they sound great. So rather than having to change the settings on the Guv'Nor for my high end, I can switch on the Boss as well and still keep all the low crunch.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm not an effect guru but I have a few effects.

My rig never leaves my domicile so after I find the settings I like, I write them down on my logbook. I do have different settings for low and high vol playing.
    The only exceptions here are my delay and vibrato. Those obviously have to change from song to song and I don't want to buy several units doing the same things (although I have 5 dist/od/fuzz units).

Of course, settings will change if the venue is changed.

4. I generally find two settings I like.....my main setting, and an alternate setting.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I seem to be sitting about the same myself. Find all the ones I like but leave it at the best.

syciprider I'm with you. My modulation effects, save my flanger mostly, changes for the tempo of the song. Otherwise I don't think it would sound to good. :D

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    It's a combination of both.

Chorus stays the same all the time, as does my Wah and OD units.

I adjust the knobs on my BaseBall pedals and my phasor (adjustable with my feet, no less!!!) quite a bit.

I also adjust the dwell and mix on my reverb, depending on the song. On slower, open songs, I tend to play with the reverb totally maxed out for cavernous, almost synth-like effects.

7. what good are effects pedals if you don't tweak!

I tweak all the time, even during a song. I wish I could afford three BassIQs so I could have them all set for different songs.

Man, if you're gonna leave 'em set you may as well go buy a multieffects unit! PFFT!

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Why? So you don't have to tweak them? :smug:

9. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    I'm either on my knees tweaking pedals or turned around messing with my preamp half the show. I use too many different sounds to just set them and forget them (for the pedals at least, for the preamp I'm just too nit-picky) -dave

10. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I'll be an exception, here. I play my effects, and I tend to acquire effects that support that. So then, you have to learn them like you have to learn any other instrument. But my main playing contexts are in free improvisation, so I don't have to reproduce anything, or "cover" anyone's sound.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The only I have to fiddle with are the Murf-105 and the Digitech Synth-wah. I seem to have to adjust them according to the room. Everthing else seem ok as set.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a love/hate relationship with pedals. Pedals can really help colour the tone. But I hate fiddling with pedals.

So if the pedal helps, great! If they get in the way I turn 'em off. I don't rely on any of my pedals. For many practices I leave them at home.

So I am in the "find one setting and leave it there" camp.

13. well... yeah, I guess! :meh:

But there's more than that to serious tweakage.

Take for instance my DM2. I'll often "land the spaceship" by tweaking the rate and and intensity controls for obnoxious feedback dives, or hold a note and wiggle the rate for crazy pitch shifted noise.

So there's set and forget, but sometimes one pedal will have three different set and forget settings. Hence why I need 3 BassIQs. Not because I don't like twiddling, but because it would save me from too much twiddling!!

Then there's all out tweakage for extreme wackedness. The microsynth is great for that, but the deep impact is not so great. So, depends on the pedal as well. Hmm, this is more complex than it seems!

14. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i want a TIP 3rd hand so i can twiddle mid song..

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Some of these hardcore effects guys use their feet. I think they play barefooted. :D

We are not worthy.

16. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i want like 10 TIP 3rd hands haha. im sure theres some easy way to make something similar, its just a cable that mechanically turns the pot, right? i wonder if i could make one out of the broken dunlop wah carcass i have laying around... -dave

17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Gasp!

I'll sometimes leave all but ONE at home: Aphex Bass Exciter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don't have all that many pedals, but the way it goes for me is (in-order, coming from the bass):
    CS-3 - Only adjust the sustain knob a little for a couple different tunes. This pedal is also a treble-boost (tone knob at 3:00).
    Aphex - Usually leave the same setting once it's set for the night.
    ODB-3 - I have two distinct settings. OD and distortion - also, sometimes I'll adjust the treble knob on the distortion sound a little for the room or situation. Once I get Boss' noise supression loop, I'll have a third, trebly, over-the-top fuzz-sound.
    CEB-3 Two distinct settings - a light, slower chorus, and a vibato-y sort of sound for when I want tapped-parts to sound like an organ a little.

Joe

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't play barefoot, but on certain pedals, I do adjust them with my feet. My MXR Phaser has the rubber cap on the knob, so bumping it slightly with a foot is effective at adjusting it.

I don't rely on any of my pedals. I just like having the tonal options sometimes. Certain times, I'm just using my SansAmp (as a DI/Preamp). Sometimes I go Bass->Reverb->AMpeg. Other times, I've got the whole board going into my Ampeg.

It depends on the requirements for the gig.