Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To all the younger TBers.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jan 28, 2006.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I just had a visit from one of my former bass student's parents. They came to tell me that their son killed himself. Some crap about a girl breaking up with him compounded by some of the drugs he had started using. 15 years old and the kid killed himself. He was by FAR the most promising student I ever had and now it's all gone.

So, to all you younger TBers out there - no matter how hard or difficult you might think you have it, nothing is worth taking your own life over...nothing. To see the hurt and pain in his parent's eyes...man....don't put your loved ones through that.

RIP Joe "Thumbsy" Badura.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, that's terrible. I'll say a prayer for the family.
    It's awful when the people with the most potential leave our lives way to early.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yowch!

All young ones should take into consideration the powerful emotions that come from the heart.

-Mike

4. God that's a shame. Nothing is worse than a life cut short like that so unexpectedly.

5. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    That truly is tragic. <head down>

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    As in self-medicating? ...or was he prescribed one of these stupid anti-depressants that actually seems to CAUSE people to have greater suicidal impulses?

If it was something prescribed, someone needs to punch his doctor in the teeth. New evidence suggests teens should NOT be on these drugs for just this reason.

Sorry to hear about such a tragic loss...

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My friend Donald Pennyman (Little Richard's 1st cousin) did the same thing. Over a girl. He's right, it ain't worth it. Life goes on, and so should you.
    RIP Thumbsy. :(

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Exactly!!! As a former depressed teenage/young adult who considered suicide several times... don't do it!!! Things get better!

- Your horomones are messing with you
    - Those dumbasses who hassle you in school (if this is the case, it really wasn't for me... but it happens) get to you, remeber, when they graduate all their "friends" go their seperate ways, they end up friendless and/or in a frat (same thing), and usually get a job that makes them miserable. Then you enter the real world, where people are slightly more mature (or at least act it in public)
    - Believe it or not, people do care about you, even if it is just one or two people... and killing yourself is like stabbing these people in the heart.

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Self medicating. What sucks the most for me is that he had come in here the day before he killed himself and told me that he had gotten an MIP. I got mad at him for his poor choices...and that's how we left it.

10. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    When I was in high school, 6 kids out of my graduating class of 400 killed themselves. It's really common now, which is kind of scary.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sorry to hear of your loss , suicide is one of the most difficult deaths to deal with.

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    QFE

13. Just echoing everybody, sorry to hear about that loss.

I'm 15 myself and I understand that it's just my hormones messing with me. Sometimes it gets very bad which I have experienced several times with friend situations and family problems but I know at the back of my mind, it's going to get better.

That made me slightly happier. :)

15...OH MY GOD I'm over half way to 30!!:crying: ;)

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

??

15. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco

I'm really sorry to hear about your student, man
    being 15 myself, I see every day in school how "common" suicide or suicidal thoughts have become. My school has had wayyyyyy too many kids being hospitalized for having these sorts of thoughts, but luckily none of them have gone through with their intentions so far.
    Being a hormonal teenager is tough, I would say, and drugs and such don't make it any better.
    It's terrible to see someone go like that.
    regards,
    Alex

16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    My son committed suicide on December 4th at the age of 30, a well educated, non-drug user, amazing percussionist. There are no simple or easy answers for any of this .....

If you're having a problem, talk to people, tell them how you're feeling. There is help out there for you.

If you're a parent, hug your kid as soon as you can .....

17. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    QFE = Quoted for Emphasis :)

18. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Man, I can't say how sorry I am for your loss. Again, seeing the look in his parent's eyes and the hurt they were feeling was almost more than I could handle. You have my deepest sympathies.

Like you said, there's no solid reasoning behind it. Out of all the kids he used to run with that I knew as customers, he's the last one I would have ever figured would do this.

19. Jeez, that sucks. A kid I knew in high school pulled the same crap last year. He was a guitar player, a pretty good one too. He threw himself in front of a train last March. I can't understand how someone can get so desperate and depressed that they feel death is the only way out. I'm so sorry to hear about this.

20. I heard a TB'er say something along the lines of 'No matter how bad you got it, there's always someone who has it worse than you. And it helps to remember that they're making it.'
    Truth