Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To all you high school/college ppl! (theory??)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spots, Mar 17, 2004.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Hey,

Has anyone on this board taken the AP music theory test for the college board. I'm highly considering taking the course next year as a senior but the test, man it looks hard...
    If you've taken it... how was it? doable?insane?dorkalicious? :rolleyes:

Help a bruddah out!

~spots :hyper:

2. I've taken a practice AP exam, not to challenging the written part is a walk in the park the hardest stuf is harmonic and melodic dictation. I will be taking the actual exam fairly soon.

3. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I took it last year and got a 5 on the exam and an A for the year... not bad for a C student (in regular classes).

It really isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be. All you need to do is read the book. Once you get the rules in your head, it's all easy.

If you know basic theory, the first 5 chapters will be a breeze. This year's AP Music Theory class is currently on leading-tone 7th chords, and plenty are having trouble. Four-part harmony writing seems to be a challange for most. I've helped them out on it and they've understood it better. You must find your own way of doing it.

Melodic and harmonic dictation shouldn't be too hard for anyone with a good ear, which you probably have developed as a bassist. You'll need to know how to hear cadences, motives, and chord changes. All 18th century style

I think you should go take the class. I learned plenty from it. It will seem really hard if you look at the later chapters early in the year but if you keep up with the work and find your own ways of learning it you'll do well.

Brett

4. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    thanks for the help guys, really

i took the exam two days ago and i got in :bassist: all my friends will be taking it as well. i think i'll enjoy it! any more insight? :help:

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    yes, apply every single thing you learn to the bass. sit down with your bass and all the stuff and play it till your fingers fall off.

6. I have a total crap ear for melodic and rythmic dictation. I practice intervals and melodic dictation to, its just so hard.