Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To all you Wino's...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lbanks, Sep 9, 2003.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've just started to get into wines. I've recently discovered 10-year old tawney port. Delious! I'm also diabetic so as I drink, I measure. And I've noticed my blood sugar seem to drop after a glass. This seems contrary to what I expected. Don't know how many of you are fat-asses, like me, but has anyone noticed this blood-sugar effect?

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I think i love my JBS.(Jazz Bass Special).(burp):D

3. I think you've had eough pal.:oops:

4. ...i thought this was gonna be a thread aimed at BL

:bag:

:D

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    [​IMG]

:p

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Here in Huntington Woods MI. we have a local wine tasting event every year. Last year I didn't make it past table one.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im diabetic too! (type 1 on the pump)

Its interesting that you say this because Ive noticed similar effects form drinking.

Ive noticed that even though alcohol is a type of sugar because of the way it matabolizes it seems to both lower blood sugar levels as it is broken down into sugar. When I have a beer or I might give myself a bit more insulin (The pump is great! Get one!) but when Im doing some heavy drinking I find that if I give myself any extra insulin my blood sugar will drop dramatically so I decide not to give myself anything extra.

It is important to note that I dont drink much wine but I have noted the same effect as beer.

PM please for more info on the pump if you dont already have one.

Peace
    Nick

8. I thought diabetics weren't supposed to drink at all? :confused:

Mike

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Actually, in most cases, I believe you're right. In my case, my Doctor gave advice to drink a little wine, to help me sleep. Also moderation is key. The trick is not to drink until drunk, 1 or 2 glasses.

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ...I think you're right...zzzzzzzzzzzz

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I was in southern France this year...need I say more? :cool:

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Probably just because of what we are talking about.

Alcohol seems to have different unexpected side effects to a persons blood sugar levels and as diabetics our bodies lack the mechanisms responsible for regulating this so its typical to advise a diabetic not to drink since the side effects can be somewhat unpredictable. In addition, when you are drunk your judgment is not what it should be so there is a good chance you might not react properly to a medical situation that you otherwise could solve is sober.

Ive found out how my body reacts to alcohol so I dont worry about that.

To sum it all up.....

Im young and stupid. I think I know everything and I "know" Ill be ok if I drink, so I do.

Peace
    Nick

13. Another question: Once diagnosed with diabetis, can you ever get rid of it?

Thanks Nick and Ibanks.

Mike ;)

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    From what I read, no, but type 2 is caused by lifestyle and can be control with diet and exercise. Type 1 is genetic and require specific regimens to control.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Other than women who have diabetes only for the duration of their preganancy and some freak cases, no.

They are close to a cure.

Go stem cell research!

Peace
    Nick

16. I dusted off the old wine kit tonight that was stil in the box. This weekend i'll give'r a go.

It seems sort of hard?

Anybody here make wine? Care to give me some tips?