1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To all You young 'uns out there, think about it a sec.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T-Bird, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Hi.

Next time when You are wondering about what to do with your lives if the playing bass for a living doesn't quite happen, take a look at the amps section here at TB (or any other amp site for that matter).

Roughly 1/10 or so of the posts deal with various el-equipment problems. Some minor, some major, but there doesn't seem to be too many places or persons the people can turn to for help in either case. And the techs working in the shops aren't necessarily praised beyond belief either.

There will be growing demand for people who can and are willing to repair, modify and service amps and other equipment, now and in the future.

There will always be a lot of stuff that can not be feasibly repaired (more and more each day :mad:), but especially tube stuff will almost always be repaired, sooner or later.

Consider El-ed as something that can tie the profession and a hobby together. Granted, it's not glorious, won't get You the top dollar income, requires work, a lot of work actually, and at first probably can not support you without another steady income. The commercial El field is however filled with job opportunities and can support You quite well.

Think about it ;).

Regards
    Sam

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    thinking make my brain hurted. :crying:

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    and if you don't pay attention in school, you might end up a product manager at an amplifier company. :eyebrow::D

4. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I'm already majoring in electrical engineering for roughly this purpose. I love playing bass, but I really don't like playing in bands. And I LOVE fixing and working on people's equipment. I'm not too amp-savvy quite yet, but I learned a lot about instrument repair from my father, who is a luthier and gunsmith.

5. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    What a great parallel (LOL)

In all seriousness and with total awe for the skills of luthiers and gunsmiths, you are very fortunate to be able to learn up close from someone who deals with the fine details of two very different, but similarly complex, sensitive devices.

6. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    I'm an Electronics Technician in the US Navy and was an Electronics Tech before I joined the Navy. A few things I've noticed over the years is that we've become a throw away society. Most consumer electronics are priced very inexpensively and if it breaks it's easier and cheaper to just throw it away and buy a new one.

As far as amplifiers go, this usually isn't the case. For the most part, it's cheaper to get it fixed, especially tube amps.

But those aren't the only things open to ET's there is the medical industry, space industry, and a whole slew of other industries which would make this list very long.

My point is, just about everything has something to do with electronics and as with everything made by humans, it's going to need to be repaired once in a while. It will always be an "in demand" field.

7. DW1969

DW1969

Feb 24, 2008
    Awesome advice! ET for the medical field make great $. Amp repair would make a good side bussiness.

8. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I should have been more specific; he only does old-time muzzleloaders, etc. The artsy-side of the business, not an M16 maker! sorry for the confusion :p

And yes, I'm pretty lucky! I've learned a lot, and someday would love to find the time to make an instrument completely from scratch. We have the capability, we just need the time :meh: