To Ampeg SVP-PRO or not to Ampeg SVP-PRO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Audiosolace, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I am currently running an Ampeg B5R all by itself and, IMHO, it leaves a bit to be desired in the tone department.

Now, I'm considering buying a new SVP-PRO to try and warm up the tone (via five 12AX7s) and provide for more flexible tone control (via 9 band EQ). To sum up, I want the resulting combination to provide SVT 3 tone control with B5R power.

Should I do it? Will it work? Anyone who's had experience with the preamp (especially in the context that I plan to use it), let me know what you thought! Any and all feedback will be appreciated!
  2. I use an SVP-PRO with a QSC RMX2450.

I've been able to get all the tone I need using just the tone controls - the EQ section goes pretty much unused on mine. I do have the EQ set up in a smiley face and use the footswitch to switch in and out of showoff mode - but that doesn't happen very often :)

I drive 2x10 + 1x15" Eden cabs with the setup and have been very happy with it.

A small point, though. only four of the tubes in an SVP-PRO are 12AX7 - they use a 12AU7 in the drive circuit.

I'm happy with my SVP-PRO - and I think you might be also.
  3. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i just got an svp pro a few weeks ago and i love it. i use it with a qsc rmx 850 (which i'll probably upgrade soon enough), through a peavey 8x10. i'm thinking about going the 2x10 + 1x15 route though too. still haven't decided. if you like the ampeg sound, get the svp pro. you won't regret it.
  4. I used to have an SVT3-Pro, and while I wasnt happy with the power part of it, the preamp was nice - same as in the SVP-Pro. I actually ran the preamp out to my QSC for awhile, but you can imagine how heavy that rack was. I use an Eden preamp now, but will be playing around with an Ampeg SVP-BSP now too.

I also run a 1x15 + 2x10 setup. Kicks butt.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    It's a great sounding preamp. Based on the rock influences listed in your profile, I'd say the svp should fit the bill. It has a warm sound, distinctively Ampeg of course, but warm nonetheless. As Allan mentioned above, I don't use the graphic EQ either. But it's nice to know that it's always there should you need it. I don't plan on parting with mine for some time to come, I've been totally satisfied with the unit.