1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To Ampeg SVP-PRO or not to Ampeg SVP-PRO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Audiosolace, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I am currently running an Ampeg B5R all by itself and, IMHO, it leaves a bit to be desired in the tone department.

Now, I'm considering buying a new SVP-PRO to try and warm up the tone (via five 12AX7s) and provide for more flexible tone control (via 9 band EQ). To sum up, I want the resulting combination to provide SVT 3 tone control with B5R power.

Should I do it? Will it work? Anyone who's had experience with the preamp (especially in the context that I plan to use it), let me know what you thought! Any and all feedback will be appreciated!

2. I use an SVP-PRO with a QSC RMX2450.

I've been able to get all the tone I need using just the tone controls - the EQ section goes pretty much unused on mine. I do have the EQ set up in a smiley face and use the footswitch to switch in and out of showoff mode - but that doesn't happen very often :)

I drive 2x10 + 1x15" Eden cabs with the setup and have been very happy with it.

A small point, though. only four of the tubes in an SVP-PRO are 12AX7 - they use a 12AU7 in the drive circuit.

I'm happy with my SVP-PRO - and I think you might be also.

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i just got an svp pro a few weeks ago and i love it. i use it with a qsc rmx 850 (which i'll probably upgrade soon enough), through a peavey 8x10. i'm thinking about going the 2x10 + 1x15 route though too. still haven't decided. if you like the ampeg sound, get the svp pro. you won't regret it.

4. I used to have an SVT3-Pro, and while I wasnt happy with the power part of it, the preamp was nice - same as in the SVP-Pro. I actually ran the preamp out to my QSC for awhile, but you can imagine how heavy that rack was. I use an Eden preamp now, but will be playing around with an Ampeg SVP-BSP now too.

I also run a 1x15 + 2x10 setup. Kicks butt.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    It's a great sounding preamp. Based on the rock influences listed in your profile, I'd say the svp should fit the bill. It has a warm sound, distinctively Ampeg of course, but warm nonetheless. As Allan mentioned above, I don't use the graphic EQ either. But it's nice to know that it's always there should you need it. I don't plan on parting with mine for some time to come, I've been totally satisfied with the unit.