1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To Ampeg SVT4 Pro users: Question the mono/stereo outputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baxter_x, Jun 4, 2014.

1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Hi all,

I'm a SVT4 Pro owner since 2008. I love this, amp. Still, I tried something interesting too me yesterday:
    I usually use it in mono mode. That mean I use the speakon/jack cable provided with the amp by Ampeg. The cable is plugged in the speakon mono bridge plug.
    Now, I tried to use a "standard" speakon cable, still in mono mode, but this time plugged in on of the two stereo plug. And guess what? I the amp was still delivering the same sound an power.

Have you guys tried or could try this and give me a feedback?
    It looks like it is possible to use a standard speakon cable in mono mode.
    Then it would be possible to use the other plug for another cab to have two cabs in parallel in mono mode.

The ampeg manual doesn't say anything about that.

Feedbacks will be appreciated ;)

2. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have used just the A or the B amp (because it is plenty of power), but never with the button in.

I will check it out it tomorrow (when nobody is sleeping).

3. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    So you mean you have always used it in stereo mode right? Not mono?
    But you're right, the amp is so powerful that even in stereo mode you still have plenty of power ;)

4. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Well... It seems like I might be right.
    Check that video on youtube:

At 3:50, Dino seems to confirm what I have tried.

5. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most of the time I have it in mono bridge mode - but sometimes I use just one side if I am just using just a 1x15 cab or something (just as a precaution). It's not that I need the bridged mono power - just some part of me thinks that if the amp is barely breaking a sweat, that it may be less likely to have issues.

6. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I tried mine. With the mono bridge button "in" it is louder and deeper in the center speaker output then in either of the other two.

I think what Dino may have meant when he said "dual mono" is that you can leave the button "in" and use both A and B outputs and they will send the same frequency to each cab - as opposed to one cab getting the lows and the other getting the highs (in stereo mode), but I am not sure.

7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I tied again and your right. The sound is louder and deeper in the center.

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I am looking at 4pro and 6pro amps as an addition to my rig options, so this thread caught my eye.

wouldn't we naturally expect the amp to be "louder/deeper" in mono bridged mode vs either A or B outs - as it is driving both its power amps to one output for the full (2 x XX watts) power output ?

I can see where it might be a toss up between using both A and B outs into separate cabs vs Mono Bridged into one cab (given that the cabs specs matched the amps power output). But it seems like using just one side of the amp would always provide less "oomph" than the Mono Bridged option.

9. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes - that is the logical conclusion, but Baxter thought he heard it differently the other day and has since updated his findings after further listening tests.

And I still recommend the SVT-4 Pro for you ;)

10. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    going to look at/listen to a 6Pro tomorrow locally. Search may be over. Now I just have to work out the best sealed cab option.