Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To any Fender collectors...nice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenbull, Nov 24, 2003.

1. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    check out the p-bass here shopgoodwill.com ...click on music instruments...what year is this p- bass?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Late 70's...probably 1976. They used a smaller headstock logo in '76 and this appears to be one of them. Though the serial number isn't on the headstock, a transition made in late '76. Perhaps middle of the year. However, I'd be a bit wary considering the neck plate isn't original, therefore there is no serial number on the bass.

3. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Its up to around $800.00...i know you cant see the condistion on the pics but what is it worth?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been wanting a bass of that era for a while, keep an eye on them so you're in luck. If the original neckplate were there, it would probably fetch $850-1000, maybe a bit more. But without that neckplate, it's worth a few bucks less.

5. I wouldn't pay more than $600.00 for a Fender bass from' 74 on up, not worth it to me!

I do agree, with the neck plate gone, you have no clue what you are really getting.

The neck would still have a date on it, but you would have to remove it to see what that date is!:meh:

I have 74" that looks just like it! Of course my serial # is on the head stock though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Fender didn't add the serial number to the headstock until '76. The serial number for that year all start with a '76' that is bigger than the rest of the number. Starting in '77, they switched to an 'S' at the beginning of the serial number.

7. You're right! My 74 has the serial # on the neck plate, I have no idea why I thought or even wrote it was on the head stock.:eek:

Thanks for reading my post and pointing out my error! I think I spent to much time on line that day!

At least someone is watching.:D

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Treena---thanks for the photo----if I had met you "back in the day", I would have fallen in love immediately....

9. Thank you!

[​IMG]
    Treena