Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To any Hindu TB member or anyone knowledgable about the religion, I need your advice.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Mar 18, 2003.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I met a girl at school I have fallen madly in love with. We talk all the time. We started talking about our religious beliefs and she told me her dad is a Hindu. I found that odd because she is white. I asked her if her dad is Indian and she said no. I am no expert of Hinduism or anything, but the religion does fascinate me a little and I have read one book about it, called Windows into the Infinite, by Barbara Powell. According to her, one must be born into Hinduism. I asked the girl I like about that and she said that the Temple they go to doesn't believe in this. She told me a little more about this Temple and said that some people there smoke weed sometimes in their rituals. I have also never heard of this being a part of Hinduism. So, I got home today and looked up what I thought was a web site of the Temple she goes to, based on where she told me it is located, and to my surprise, the head of this Temple is a white guy.

Anyway, what I was wondering is does this sound like a legitimate Temple? Are there Hindu Temples out there in America that are frauds? Also, is it true that you cannot convert into Hinduism?

It all sounded peculiar to me, based on the little bit I have read about Hinduism, anyone's comments/insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    If your interested in the girl and curious about her temple, the next time it comes up, tell her your curious and ask if she ever takes friends/guests to worship - maybe you could go check it out?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sounds like it's a heap of hippy horse manure, but hey, if you like her, go and check it out. hippy horse manure can be fun :D

i know a few hindus, and i don't think they would consider the temple that you are discussing something "orthodox", at least from what you've said.

4. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hmmmmmm.....

I dunno man... errr I have a friend whos hindu.. she said that doesn't sound like a normal temple either.. shes Indian though, I dont know much about the religion but maybe they are a different kinda hindu..
    well I guess they get free weed so its good for them.
    I wonder if there is different types of hindus like Christianity or something.. as in.. Babtist or Methodist or Catholic or Presbitarian or whatnot..

5. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas

LOL!!

6. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    My thoughts exactly... and imagine the psychological problems that can cause being raised by hippies who tell you that that is what Hinduism is. I am afraid if this isn't a legit temple, that there could be some serious issues with this girl and maybe it would be best if I don't get involved.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    don't worry about issues until they become issues. there might not be any. just because someone's raised in that kind of environment doesn't necessarily mean they bought into the party line, y'know?

8. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    hinduism is better described as culture than religion. its really something that you've gotta be born into. but none of that matters if you like the girl, like jt said dont worry about issues until they become issues, you could worry and worry about something and it might never materialize in reality but you're still acting as if it had.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually Hinduism is a very tolerant and inclusive religion,as the British found out in India - the Hindus tried to accommodate them and their own Christian beliefs into Hinduism!

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Has it occurred to you that this just might be a test for you? Maybe she's testing your religious tolerance or your dedication to her, or if you like or tolerate pot :D

Ah, the games people play. Of course I can be wrong, but similar things happened to me just recently.

11. Hey Electric, I've read a little on Hinduism, but, I'm no expert. Here are two sites from which we can all learn together. http://www.dalitstan.org/books/mohr
    and
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/hinduism.htm

You sound like you're ahead of the game in that you say you love her and religion doesn't matter.

Good man! ;)

Good luck

Mike

P.S. The pot thing sounds a little screwy to me, but, hey, what do I know? :confused:

12. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    You are right, I was probably worrying a little too much over nothing. I talked to her again today and she admitted the Hinduism her father practices is definitely not traditional, nor is the temple he goes to. She also said that she really isn't into it so much, it's been years since she has been to that temple. Also as far as the weed thing, she said it went on, but she doesn't smoke and didn't participate in that. It seems like it was something they did because the wanted to, not something that was necessarily required as a part of their rituals.

The bottom line is I really don't care what this girl believes in, I care for her so much, her religion isn't that important to me, and as long as she has a similar open mind about me and accepts me the in the same way, I'll be happy.

Michael, those looked like some good websites, I haven't had time to look at them in depth, but thanks for posting them.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful insights, you guys here at TB are awesome!

13. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Thought I would give you guys an update on my situation.

Well, that girl and I continued to talk to each other every day at school. We also talked on the phone and through email. We both had a full school load last semester, so the relationship didn’t get much farther.

When school ended, she went on a trip with her family to Malaysia. She got back last week and I sent her an email asking if she wanted to go see a movie sometime this summer.

Well, I just got back today from seeing a movie with her. After we saw the movie, we had a cup of coffee and talked for about 3 hours. I guess you could say it went well. I told her about the band, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (any of you guys heard of them?) and that I am planning on going to see them August 1st. She sounded interested and said she would like to go.

So, you guys were right. I truly was worrying over nothing. We have different views on certain things we talk about, but the good thing is that it seems like we respect each other’s opinions.

Anyway, I am pretty happy right now. :)

14. Sounds like a commune...

[​IMG]

:D:D

Merls