1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To anyone in their 20's, or who have been.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by freeslicefattyj, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Well, I turned 20 today. I get to say goodbye to my teenage years and move into adulthood. Are there any official rules of etiquette to this intimidating decade? Is the occasional poop joke still acceptable? Am I still allowed to watch re-runs of my favorite Nickelodeon game shows? Am I still allowed to wear my coveted Blink-182 shirt? Do I have to start wearing bow-ties when I go on dates? So many questions... Any guidance from the more experienced members out there would be greatly appreciated.

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Don't forget to be a kid.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    You are never allowed to wear Blink 182 shirts.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    +1 ...everything else is acceptable. Especially fart jokes.

5. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    yes especially fart jokes.

6. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    be nice to girls, they may let you hug or even kiss them...

7. the only rule that i was told was to stop feeling sorry for yourself :)

other than that, kserg said it all
    no Blink 182, and pile on the fart jokes

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    the most important thing about entering your 20's is that NOW is the time!!!

your 20's is your best chance to achieve your dreams and goals because this is the time when you really have time to experiment and make decisions and not be stuck with any bad decisions. as i am rapidly seeing my twenties pass me by (i'm now 27) i've learned that this time moves fast and that this IS the time. now's the time where you make those "when i grow up i want to be" dreams a reality. if you let them pass you by, you will still be able to make bad decisions, but it'll be really hard to make u-turns in your life because as you pass through your 20's you'll take on a LOT of new responsibilities.

most importantly though...be a kid...just remember that if you dream of being a bassist as your job, now's the time to make it happen. when you are 30 and married (or close to it) it'll be a lot tougher to hit the road or take a chance in following your dream.

Time is on your side, but that won't last forever.

9. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    Adulthood hits me like a ton of bricks. It's so fast and unexpected. Now I have to truly worry about my future. Don't procrastinate like I do, or you'll be so far behind in anything.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Another April 17th Birthday , have a happy and healthy 20th Birthday with many more . Just be yourself , dont feel a need to conform just because of a number. ;) :bassist:

11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    yeah man, and do what you can this year...next year you'll get a VERY big detterent to getting things done...alcohol.

12. From personal experinece, people tend to classify you as follows:

1) If you're a kid that acts like a kid, you fall into the "he's just a kid" category.

2) If you're 20 - 40 and act like a kid, you falll into the "he's such a jerk" category.

3) If you're over 40 and act like a kid, you fall into the "he's going senile" category.

I'll let you know what the 4th category (70 & over) is when I get there.

Happy birthday!

13. Happy Birthday to you sir! Second Easter Monday birthday I can remember, and they're always a bit nicer.

:hyper: :hyper:

Alright, i'll heed the warnings about Blink 182 shirts. I wore it for the first time in about 3 years the other day and it just wasn't the same... I'm not getting rid of it though! I feel pretty excited, finishing up second year of college and moving away in the fall to Chicago so I can get a bit more serious about the rest of my life. Looking forward to the future.

14. The 20s are great. I have all the freedoms of an adult citizen of the US, I don't have acne anymore, my metabolism is still nuts, I'm playing and touring in a rock band, et cetera. The only thing I have now that I plan to have when I'm 40 is a cute young girlfriend. :p

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    as a youth, i made the brash (and irrevocable) decision to be a "toys-r-us kid," so i know nothing about this thing you call "growing up."

:(

*remembers access to toys* :hyper:

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Being 23 is the bee's knees.

The responsibility of the family is in the future and the restrictions of family life and are behind me. :cool:

Everything that's going to be legal for me is, and I'm young enough to enjoy it! (Except running for certain government offices.)

Financial idependence, being able to able to do whatever I want whenever I want... man, being a twenty-something rocks.

Low-brow humor and poop jokes never go out of style.

Bow-ties are either really lame or really cool - and that's a fashion paradox we're still young enough to be able to pull off.

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Oh, grow up already!

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bad news, they moved adulthood to 21.

:p enjoy

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Don't hold on to too much of that, or you'll never grow up. To some people, that isn't a bad thing though. :D

-Mike

20. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    +1 billion!!!

Cherie...Queen Of Poor Choices